Living with Breast Cancer
There are several types of breast cancer. Most breast cancers are invasive ductal carcinomas, which originate in the milk ducts of the breast before spreading to other parts of the breast. Other types include ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS), which originates in milk ducts but has not yet spread; and invasive lobular carcinoma, which begins in milk-producing glands. Symptoms of breast cancer can include a lump, swelling of all or part of a breast, skin irritation or dimpling, breast or nipple pain, nipple retraction, redness, and nipple discharge (other than breast milk). Breast cancer is often treated with a combination of surgery, radiation therapy, hormone therapy, and/or chemotherapy. The survival rate for breast cancer can vary depending on stage of diagnosis, type of treatment, and other factors.
For more information on breast cancer, read the American Cancer Society's Detailed Guide.
If you have been affected by breast cancer, please be sure to take some time to read others' experiences, share your own experiences, and ask or answer questions. Don't forget to view our Beginner's Guide to Cancer.
Do you have experience with breast cancer? Join now to share your journey!
Types of Breast Cancer
- Adenoid Cystic (Adenocystic) Carcinoma, Breast Cancer
- Ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS)
- Inflammatory Breast Cancer
- Invasive (Infiltrating) Ductal Carcinoma
- Invasive Lobular Carcinoma
- Lobular carcinoma in situ (LCIS)
- Medullary Carcinoma
- Metaplastic Carcinoma (also called Carcinoma w/Metaplasia)
- Mixed Tumors, Breast Cancer
- Mucinous (or Colloid) Carcinoma
- Paget Disease of the Nipple
- Papillary Carcinoma, Breast Cancer
- Phyllodes Tumor (also called Cystosarcoma Phyllodes)
- Tubular Carcinoma
- Question about Ductal carcinoma in s...
- Question about Invasive (Infiltrati...
- Question about Breast Cancer
I had a mastectomy for BC in November 2014. I went to an in network preferred provider at an i... Read More
- Breast Cancer Procedures
- Breast Cancer Drug or Chemo Therapy
- Breast Cancer Radiation Treatments
Test your knowledge! Cancer trivia