BMTSurvivor05's Journey with Follicular Lymphoma

Survivor: Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma (NHL) > B-Cell Lymphoma > Follicular Lymphoma

Patient Info: Finished active treatment more than 5 years ago, Diagnosed: over 24 years ago, Female, Age: 72, Stage IV

  1. 1
    over 9 years ago
    BMTSurvivor05's Avatar

    Six doctors and many tests later, I have a diagnosis.

    Oh No

    My symptoms at the time did not match typical symptoms. I was anemic and had bone pain, then shortness of breath.

  2. 2
    over 9 years ago
    BMTSurvivor05's Avatar


    Drug or Chemo Therapy

    I managed chemotherapy OK and was able to continue to work. After 6 rounds, I had another bone marrow biopsy. The chemo was working but not well enough. The doctor changed the regiment and referred me for a possible bone marrow transplant. The decision was made to have get me to remission, harvest my own stem cells, have high-dose chemotherapy and introduce the stem cells again. That was my 1st transplant in April 1998. Because my initial diagnosis showed aggressive lymphoma and low-grade lymphoma, I relapsed with the low-grade lymphoma after 2 years. The doctor chose 4 rounds of Rituxan. The next relapse was followed by 4 more rounds of Rituxan. That lasted a short time and I relapsed again. This time, the doctor chose Zevalin as the treatment but because I had the 1st stem cell transplant, they were only able to give me a half dose. I relapsed for the last time in July/August 2005. I was running out of options. I met with the transplant doctor again (3rd time) and finally decided to try a matched unrelated stem cell transplant. I had put this off repeatedly because of the potential graft vs host problems, but my family and I agreed that it was time to try this. I met with the doctor in October 2005 and found out that I had a matching donor on November 11th. I had 1.5 weeks to wrap up things at work, train a replacement and get all of the pre-admission tests done. I was admitted to the hospital the day after Thanksgiving and had my transplant on December 3, 2005. The next 100 days were tough since I was nauseated 24/7. I had other problems crop up but the doctor stayed on top of things. I was very fortunate and very thankful. I had a huge team of friends and family supporting me in prayer and I thank God that I am healthy again. I got to meet my donor a couple of years ago. Thank you, my donor, for sharing your healthy stem cells with me.

    Easy to Do: Neutral/NA
    Minimal Side Effects: Agree
    Minimal Impact to Daily Life: Agree