• Moneysavingmom's Avatar

    Moneysavingmom posted an update

    My 66-year-old Mother was diagnosed with Breast Cancer last week. This week we found out that she needs a mastectomy (right breast). This would be bad enough but 5 months ago my 5-year-old nephew (her grandson) was diagnosed with Ewing Sarcoma (bone cancer). My family has been shaken to it's core dealing with my nephew and now with my Mother. Yesterday we met with a plastic surgeon. He wants us to make our decision by Monday to get her scheduled for her mastectomy. The choices he gave us were the standard reconstruction with the expander or a trans flap where they do a tummy tuck. I was wondering if anyone could share any advice with me. It is one thing to read about the procedures and talk to the Doctors but it would be better if I can hear from real people who have been there and understand what we are going through. Thank you.

    1 Comment
    • Scheryl's Avatar

      I agree with some of the info posted and also think it is awful to make this kind of decision in such a short time. I chose not to have reconstruction but I had some time to think about it. Diagnosis in last July 2011 and surgery first of March 2012. Once you get past the medical implications, this become a very personal decision that only the individual can fully determine. I do think your mother should ask about making this decision later if it does not remove any of her options. I made my decision based on following: (1) I was 66 and time of diagnosis and 67 at surgery. Symetry would have been an issue if I did not have double. I also decided at same time to have double due to aggresive nature of this type, smytry issues, and I did not want to start over with the same procedures in a few months or years; (2 My husband and I agreed that we wanted to do what what most expedient to my recovery. My surgeon told me that the door was not closed to reconstruction following mastectomy. We did not go into details as my decision was made so I don't know if some of the options available later would be different or fewer than immediate choices. Of my group of "breast friends", I am the only one who did not have reconstruction. However, they are all younger than I (early 30's to early 50's), and I would probably have made the decision for reconstruction if I were younger. All of them have some issues (all different), but all of them feel the issues are worth the effort - thus reinforcing the personal nature of the decision. I am reminded each night when I undress and take off bra and prosthisis and see flat chest and scars and they are reminded as they deal with their issues. I am very happy with my decision and still do not plan to have a later reconstruction. They are happy with their decision. Sorry, but this really becomes a "non-answer" to your question because I don't think one answer fits all. The bad part for your mother is not being given enough time to think it through to determine what is best for HER. I had time to think while completing chemo and feel totally comfortable with my decision for me. Will be thinking about your mother as she starts the process.

      almost 9 years ago