• Are there items that can be used on your income tax, such as travel expenses or anything else my chemo brain doesn't let me think of ?

    Asked by Sugarshine on Tuesday, December 18, 2012

    Are there items that can be used on your income tax, such as travel expenses or anything else my chemo brain doesn't let me think of ?

    I live with my son and am on disability retirement. Can he claim me as a dependent ? He or his wife take me to every Appointment and contribute to my personal every day needs. Provide transportation everywhere.

    6 Answers from the Community

    6 answers
    • nancyjac's Avatar

      For tax purposes, to be an adult dependent, you have to be completely financially dependent on another tax payer. Being medically dependent on your son doesn't count for tax purposes. Are income taxes withheld on your disability retirement income? If not, then you can't claim any deductions since you are not paying any tax. If not, you may be able to deduct medically necessary expenses not covered by your insurace such as travel, but only those out of pocket medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your income.

      over 5 years ago
    • Harry's Avatar

      Probably, you should talk to a CPA or a tax attorney about these issues. Don't go to HRBlock or any other store front tax prep service. This may cost a bit more, but the advice should be good. Ask friends, etc. for recommendations.

      over 5 years ago
    • karen1956's Avatar

      if you are itemizing your taxes, you need a certain %age of medical expenses before you can deduct anything....but if you meet that limit, you can include any out of pocket medical expenses (co-pays, deductibles etc), insurance premiums, mileage. At least that is what we have included in our medical deductions.....I don't know tax laws regarding your son being able to claim you as a dependent...

      over 5 years ago
    • Sugarshine's Avatar

      I haven't been a dependent in many years lol. Being retired is new to me, it came through just as I became I'll so I haven't had time to understand it yet. Great advice and I will check with an accountant.

      over 5 years ago
    • SueRae1's Avatar

      I can't add anything to the great advice you have gotten. You may want to investigate and apply for grants to help defray the some of the costs you are incurring. here's a link to started https://www.pparx.org/en/prescription_assistance_programs/co-payment_programs#CC

      over 5 years ago
    • sunne's Avatar

      if you purchased a wig or wigs, you can claim it with receipts of course

      over 5 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more pancreatic cancer questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Pancreatic Cancer page.