• Board Certified Gynecologic Oncologist ?

    Asked by Sandywriter12 on Sunday, March 25, 2012

    Board Certified Gynecologic Oncologist ?

    It would be for a hysterectomy type procedure, DaVinci anyone?

    5 Answers from the Community

    5 answers
    • nancyjac's Avatar

      I'm not sure what your question is. Are you asking what kind of doctor should perform the hysterectomy? That would be a surgeon.

      almost 7 years ago
    • derbygirl's Avatar

      I'm not sure what your question is either but when I had my hysterectomy for Ovarian Cancer, I had both my ObGyn and a Gyn Oncologist in the OR performing the surgery. My ObGyn did the hysterectomy and peritoneal washings then the Gyn Oncologist did biopsies. As a former clinical assistant in an ObGyn practice I recommend you can talk to your ObGyn regarding Davinci robotic surgery. Many ObGyn's are training with Davinci and are now performing the procedure but there are factors that need to be considered regarding which procedure is best for you. Please talk with your doctor. I hope this helps.

      almost 7 years ago
    • Sandywriter12's Avatar

      Thanks, I meant to ask if a board certified gyn/onc is important for endometrial cancer hysterectomy. I was just diagnosed and I was told that not just any gyn onc should perform the surgery. How do you qualify the doc who does this major surgery, which will cure you, or not?

      almost 7 years ago
    • nancyjac's Avatar

      I'm still not understanding. A gyn oncologist is a medical specialty that requires board certification. So a gyn oncologist is board certified. That doesn't mean that a gyn oncologist is a surgeon. Unless the gyn oncologist is also a qualified surgeon, he/she will not do the surgery. An oncologist plans and oversees cancer treatment, but most do no perform surgery.

      almost 7 years ago
    • Cindy's Avatar

      Yes, a board certified gynecological oncologist (Gyn/onc) is very, very important for endometrial and other gynecological cancers. Gyn/oncs are surgeons that are specialized in gynecological cancers. Studies on outcomes from gynecologic cancers demonstrate that women treated by a gynecologic oncologist have a better likelihood of prolonged survival compared to care rendered by non-specialists. (See http://www.wcn.org/articles/treatment/gynecologic_oncologists/overview/). To find a gynecological oncologist near you, go to http://www.wcn.org/ and click on "Find a gynecologic oncologist." The gynecologist that diagnosed me in the hospital recommended a gynecological oncologist to do my surgery at a hospital in a city about a 3-1/2 hours drive away. My gyn/onc told me that he did the type of surgery I had several times a week. I looked on the Internet to find information about him and found out that he was world renown, wrote textbooks and published articles on the subject and taught others how to do it. He was the head of the gyn/onc department in the hospital.

      almost 7 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more endometrial (uterine) cancer questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Endometrial (Uterine) Cancer page.