• Cancer Gyn VS Non Cancer Gyn

    Asked by Tallgrass69 on Thursday, April 18, 2013

    Cancer Gyn VS Non Cancer Gyn

    Saw my onc yesterday she want's to stay on the chemo path since I'm responding so well. I thought she would mention about getting my ovaries out since I am ER+ and PR+ but she dnt so I did and she said that's a good idea. And left it up too me to find a gyn surgen. has anyone had an experience like this. And how do I get started and which do I pick Cancer Gyn VS Non Cancer Gyn???

    9 Answers from the Community

    9 answers
    • Nancebeth's Avatar

      I was ER+ and PR+ and my oncologist recommended against an oopherectomy because I was taking Tamoxifen which is a hormone suppressant. He said we would revisit the idea if I stopped the Tamoxifen. I stopped the Tamoxifen due to side effetcs, however, I decided against having my ovaries removed anyway. I discussed it with my personal gyn and ultimately, it was my decision, but I chose not to have the surgery. Were hormone supressant drugs not discussed with you?

      over 4 years ago
    • CAS1's Avatar

      Don't like what I am hearing. Is she a BC expert? If she is not I would suggest you find one at the best cancer center you can find. You deserve Dr's who make you a priority.

      My Onc ( Who is world renowed ) has taken the time to schedule me with numerous experts. if he can take this time out to do this for me then every Dr. should be doing the same for everyone.

      over 4 years ago
    • carm's Avatar

      If you are set on getting an oopherectomy, then best to go with a gynecological surgeon. As for the oncologist, unless you have a gynecological cancer, a gynecological oncologist has no reason to treat you. Best of luck to you, Carm RN.

      over 4 years ago
    • karen1956's Avatar

      My OB/Gyn did my ooph.....

      over 4 years ago
    • derbygirl's Avatar

      For a regular oophorectomy, a gynecologist is the one to perform the surgery. A GYN Oncologist deals with patients who have been diagnosed with cancer of the female organs such as ovarian, endometrial, and cervical cancers. If you have a regular gynecologist that you see on a yearly basis, then that is the doctor you need to talk to concerning this matter. I hope this helps. Take care.

      over 4 years ago
    • moonmaiden's Avatar

      I have to agree with CAS1, something sounds odd here. After all I've been through so far, I'm not going to go looking for more surgeries unless they tell me it's really necessary. I also find it odd that your onc is leaving it up to you to go find a surgeon and hasn't referred you to anyone. If your onc isn't a bc specialist, then I agree that you should find one. I did take a quick look at your profile, and you describe your stage as recurrent / chronic, really sorry to hear that. So you may be right, having your ovaries removed may be a good idea for you, but I think you should have some consultations with a couple more oncologists who specialize in bc before you make a decision on it. Your onc says that you're responding well to chemo, and didn't bring it up herself, maybe you should wait until your done with chemo and get a couple more opinions before looking for another surgery to recover from. If your onc thinks it's appropriate, I would think she would refer you to someone, and find that odd. If you decide it's the right option for you, if you have a regular gyn then ask him/her if they do surgeries, and if not ask for a referral. I don't think all gyns necessarily do surgeries, I think some of them may be surgeons as a specialty.

      over 4 years ago
    • Ladykarla's Avatar

      If you live in Indiana, David Moore, St. Francis Hospital ,Indianapolis is an expert who will tell you whether you should have them out or not. He has a super reputation and he is very KIND.

      over 4 years ago
    • alphphi02's Avatar

      Unlike others here, my breast surgeon, OB/GYN and oncologist have been discussing ovary removal and Tamoxifen with me for some time. Every case is different and in some women, ovarian and breast cancer risk are linked. The reason to consider it is that screening for ovarian cancer is dreadfully unreliable/nonexistent. My OB/GYN, genetic counselor and onc all said this should be done by a gynecologic oncologist or with one assisting. My gyn said that a specialist would be better able to get the Fallopian tubes at the right spot to help ensure no cells are left behind. She said a generalist like her shouldn't do them. They will also ensure a full pathology is done to ensure there are no cancer cells already there. I hope this helps.

      over 4 years ago
    • SueRae1's Avatar

      I agree with others, I don't like what I'm seeing here. Your onc should be much more supportive. My first suggestion speak with a social worker at the center you are being treated at and find out about how to go about finding a 2nd opinion, You may also want to talk to a patient navigator (if they have one) about your concerns with you oncologist. Most are very helpful and encourage and help find other members of your team.

      over 4 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more breast cancer questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Breast Cancer page.