• Disagree with Onc suggestion

    Asked by Lorie on Thursday, January 11, 2018

    Disagree with Onc suggestion

    Some background. Almost 3 years clean from breast cancer. In November I had a colonoscopy and one of the polyps biopsied was suspicious for lymphoma. No definite conclusion. I had a pet scan yesterday and received good news that it was clean. Gastroenterologist recommended another colonoscopy early Feb
    . When Onc told me the good news I asked her if I should cancel the colonoscopy and she suggested to keep it because the Pet Scan are not 100% accurate. Since the polyp was removed with clean margins I asked her if scheduling a colonoscopy at a later date would be more beneficial because something might show up later rather than so soon after the first one. She reiterated that she would keep the appointment. I feel she is just protecting her butt and reputation with the gastro doc. I think I am going to cancel this one and reschedule it either 6 months or a year from now. Any opinions?

    16 Answers from the Community

    16 answers
    • barryboomer's Avatar
      barryboomer

      Re Schedule it....You will be fine.

      9 days ago
    • LiveWithCancer's Avatar
      LiveWithCancer

      I agree with you. No way I would go through another colonoscopy so soon, given the facts of your case. I am a little surprised the gastroenterologist even would want you to have another one so soon.

      9 days ago
    • Lorie's Avatar
      Lorie

      Maybe he thinks he is herding them in and out of there and missed something. After going thru that place I know how cattle feel. He called me a week and a half afterwards and told me everything was alright and then a week later he called and said oh a second report came in. I went and got copies of both reports in the first one said that something was being sent to the lab. There was also no privacy there. we were all lined up in the prep room and the nurse came down with a computer to the foot of each bed and asked personal and health questions and names and dates of birth and I could hear everything. Not going back there again.

      9 days ago
    • ChicagoSandy's Avatar
      ChicagoSandy

      If you can afford it, I'd suggest you take your records to another, independent facility and see what their onc and GI doc say. Nobody there would have a prior decision or judgment call to defend, therefore no agenda other than to offer what they believe is in your best interest without regard to any personal motives of their own. Good luck and I hope you can find some reliable peace of mind.

      9 days ago
    • Anniekell's Avatar
      Anniekell

      You can always say no. I say no more often than yes - the least amount of treatment the better, I say.

      9 days ago
    • beachbum5817's Avatar
      beachbum5817

      I am going against the tide here, but I would have it. I would rather get the second one over with and know for sure what is happening. I am a worrier, so getting the test done sooner would mean I would worry less. I'd be nervous the whole time I was waiting. Of course, you have to do what is best for you. Good luck with your decision. Take care.

      8 days ago
    • Lorie's Avatar
      Lorie

      Chicago Sandy, thanks for that thought. Might just do that. Lorie

      8 days ago
    • geekling's Avatar
      geekling

      Colonoscopies are big ticket items.

      Your body, your choice.

      I like ChicagoSandy's advice too except I would wait on yet another colonoscopy no matter. If you can afford it, why not check out thermography? Much less invasive and anything to be seen will show up.

      Stay unremarkable.

      8 days ago
    • geekling's Avatar
      geekling

      BTW, isnt lymphoma a blood cancer?

      If so, how would it show up only in one polyp?

      8 days ago
    • ChicagoSandy's Avatar
      ChicagoSandy

      Geekling, I was thinking the same thing. Also, while I believe in the importance of screening colonoscopies (at age-and-prior-history-dependent intervals) to remove polyps before they become cancers and in situ--or stage I colon cancers before they need extensive adjuvant therapies--colonoscopies can carry real--albeit rare--risks.

      My husband, who was on a 3-to-5-yr followup schedule after the first couple of 'scopes found and removed polyps, went in for his third one 4 yrs. after his second--and his bowel wall was perforated in the process of withdrawing the curette. (Happens in roughly 1 in 2000 cases, and it's a known risk, not malpractice--he's a cardiologist himself and wouldn't even consider suing). He needed several hospital stays (one of which nearly sent him into heart failure from I.V. fluid overload) before he ended up getting a hemicoloectomy (fortunately, no ostomy needed). But abdominal surgery carries risk of future adhesions--one of which two years later caused a small bowel obstruction which required two in-patient days of painful nasogastric suction to avoid more surgery...for now.

      I had a clean 'scope in 2011 and was on a 10-year followup schedule, but to figure out why I was anemic both an EGD (upper GI) and colonoscopy were performed a few months ago. Nothing but a 'rhoid and a couple of diverticuli were found, so I'm back on a 10-yr sched., but no more after that since I'd be >75.

      "First, do no harm." If it was good enough for Hippocrates...

      8 days ago
    • Lorie's Avatar
      Lorie

      Geekling , yes it is a blood cancer. The gastro doc said he's only had two cases in his years of practice and I think it's very rare. Of course the oncologist said he sees it all the time.

      8 days ago
    • Jesse0218's Avatar
      Jesse0218

      Go with what you feel is right for you. You're doing your research on this.
      From the suggestions here, people feel this is too soon after your last one.
      So far, I've managed not to have any but will probably lose that discussion one of these visits with my oncologist. The whole idea totally grosses me out. Not to mention going through internet withdrawal the night before. And, I've sworn to myself and told doctors - I don't want any more surgery. Had 3 in 10 months a couple years ago and am done with surgery if I can help it.

      8 days ago
    • ChicagoSandy's Avatar
      ChicagoSandy

      You won't have to go through internet withdrawal--you'll be spending enough time on the toilet to browse the Net on your phone or tablet. And it might make that time more bearable. You will have to stop drinking any fluids after midnight, though--and you'll have been on only clear (non-red, non-purple) fluids all day.

      8 days ago
    • cards7up's Avatar
      cards7up

      Lymphoma can spread to organs just like any cancer including skin cancer. I wouldn't cancel it but would ask for the full blood work up now. The reason being, that one polyp can turn into many polyps in 1-3 months. Sounds like your gastro doc is being pro-active. I'd ask for the pathology report. I'll give you this to start the included link: "Small intestine lymphoma" https://www.oncolink.org/cancers/gastrointestinal/small-intestine-cancers/all-about-small-bowel-cancer

      7 days ago
    • ChicagoSandy's Avatar
      ChicagoSandy

      A colonoscopy does not examine the small intestine--the way to do that is via "capsule endoscopy,: in which the patient swallows a large capsule containing a tiny camera that broadcasts its images over the course of a few hours. (It eventually gets pooped out).

      7 days ago
    • BoiseB's Avatar
      BoiseB (Best Answer!)

      I would get a two second opinions one from a gastroenterologist and one from an oncologist if I didn't want the colonoscopy.

      7 days ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy


    Read and answer more invasive (infiltrating) ductal carcinoma questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Invasive (Infiltrating) Ductal Carcinoma page.