• Joy's Avatar

    Does anybody know if you can get assistance with medical bills after having mutliple problems with reconstruction?

    Asked by Joy on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

    Does anybody know if you can get assistance with medical bills after having mutliple problems with reconstruction?

    I have had seven surgeries and recently had to have a wound vac and am currently doing hyperbaric oxygen treatments.

    3 Answers from the Community

    • Brook28's Avatar

      I would start by calling your hospital's accounts payable department and asking if there are any organizations they can refer you to also - most definitely contact the Susan G. Komen foundation. This is part of what they do. Another resource might be contacting your county health department to see if they can give you any information or referrals. Good luck with everything!

      almost 6 years ago
    • lilymadeline's Avatar

      Immediately ask your hospital or oncologist for a social worker, mine helped me tremendously finding sources available for charitable help and also she got me approved for my hospitals charity care program.
      And there are a lot of organizations to help breast cancer patients, they are all overwhelmed with requests but you might still have some luck. But also call or email the Cancer Legal Resource Center or CLRC in Los Angeles California, because reconstruction is covered by law now in nearly all states, so your insurance probably has to pay for it even if they are trying to get out of doing that now. They are a volunteer organization so they are slow to respond sometimes, so be patient but they might be able to help or at least point you in the right direction.
      And of course Google and go on line to find current breast cancer organizations, you need to spend time on this. I did myself but it paid off eventually. And be aware that new charities come up overnight and charities also often go out of business, the ones who helped me are mostly gone now, except my hospitals charity program. Good luck and best wishes!

      almost 6 years ago
    • AmyJo's Avatar

      I think the American Cancer Society sometimes can help with that, or at least maybe they could steer you in the right direction. Or ask your doctor, sometimes they know how to deal with it too.
      I'm so sorry you have to go through that on top of cancer. That's a lot on your plate.
      God Bless!!

      almost 6 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more breast cancer questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Breast Cancer page.