• Does anyone know where to look for stretches for lower back pain from muscle strain or bony mets? Recent back surgery.

    Asked by packerbacker on Saturday, January 19, 2013

    Does anyone know where to look for stretches for lower back pain from muscle strain or bony mets? Recent back surgery.

    I have mets to the right hip from what the doctor's think is a variant of head and neck cancer (Primary still unknown). This summer I fell and fractured my spine (4 months ago), which found the bony mets. More mets has been found (lungs, lymph node, tongue, adrenal gland), including a frontal lobe tumor. Over the past week or so, I have been having severe lower right back pain (mostly). I don't think it's from the back surgery, but am unsure. It feels like I strained my butt muscle doing something, but am unsure because the pain is getting worse and nothing seems to help: heat, Ben Gay, walking, some relief from pain meds and massage, but it's still difficult to walk most of the time, and sitting hurts some also. I am not active at all, a home body. I'm trying to locate some gentle stretching exercises, but have to be careful with my back. Any suggestions? Sorry to ramble!

    4 Answers from the Community

    4 answers
    • nancyjac's Avatar

      Please do no implement an exercise routine on your own. Contact your Oncologist and ask for a referral to a physical or occupational therapist who is trained to work with situations like yours. Otherwise you could end up making the situation worse and cause another fracture.

      over 8 years ago
    • packerbacker's Avatar

      Thank you, Nancyjac, for reminding me to check with the doctor. How right you are about further injury. I was just looking for some relief to this pain and I thought some gentle stretches might help. I see a Neuro-Oncologist Monday, and maybe she can refer me for Physical Therapy or something like that. The deconditioning that goes with some of this cancer stuff is very frustrating!

      over 8 years ago
    • carm's Avatar

      I am not sure if your doc talked about pain relief or if you have someone managing your pain issues but, morphine or opioids do not work on bone mets. You might try ibuprofen as NSAIDS are the most effective for that type of pain. Consult your physician. Heat actually creates more pain as heat brings blood flow to the site and increases the throb. Best of luck to you, Carm.

      over 8 years ago
    • LuvinSis' Avatar

      A few visits with a physical therapist will help, if you have recently MRI/CT bring those along with the report. They can assess the pain and give you home exercises. Though not a cancer patient is am on disability for severe spine problems both bone-pain based and nerve-pain based. My Pain Mgmt doctor has me on opioid meds as well as over the counter ibuprofen, naproxen (aleve), and aspirin (I alternate between the 3 to save my stomach). And I live for heating pads, I have them all over the house. I can't remember where Menomonee Falls is, but the Marshfield Clinics (branches all over) have a good pain management reputation and one PM practices in Minocqua is well regarded (currently living in AZ but our goal is to possibly get back to central WI, I used to live in Wausau).

      over 8 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more sarcoma - adult soft tissue cancer questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Sarcoma - Adult Soft Tissue Cancer page.