• GGP's Avatar

    Eating chocolate after having radiation and chemo

    Asked by GGP on Wednesday, April 17, 2013

    Eating chocolate after having radiation and chemo

    Do you have trouble eating chocolate after radiation to the mouth/neck area? I used to be addicted to milky ways, kit kats, heck, any chocolate. Now it burns my mouth. Such a cruel side effect.

    Anyone else? What gives you trouble eating?

    10 Answers from the Community

    10 answers
    • reginak's Avatar

      I was given tons of chocolate Ensure while in the ICU after my first surgery. Now I find that I hate the taste of artificial chocolate. I also can't handle spicy foods at all, which means mostly bland foods - a huge disappointment for someone who used to enjoy spicy mexican or chinese food.

      over 2 years ago
    • planogirl60's Avatar

      Chocolate (my favorite thing in life) tasted terrible to me after treatment. But I'm so stubborn I kept trying and yep I love it once again! I can't remember how long it took, but would guess a couple months.

      over 2 years ago
    • GregP_WN's Avatar

      I can eat some now, but I have to have a glass of milk to wash it down and shish in my mouth to get it off my gums. Still burns, I don't like it as much as I used to.

      over 2 years ago
    • downbutnotout's Avatar

      I haven't had the radiation to the mouth, but had some treatment by chemo, hasn't affected me in taste yet.

      over 2 years ago
    • bec55's Avatar

      No problems with chocolate, but can't stand the taste of soda pop, nasty...Spicy foods also bother me.

      over 2 years ago
    • sandikf's Avatar

      A LOT of foods taste different! Foods and drink that was favorite now not right. I used to be a MT Dew aholic now it takes 2 days or more to drink small bottle. Some of my tastes could be because I no longer smoke. Days my stomach seems to say you try to put that in me and it won't stay. You are right- cruel

      over 2 years ago
    • kevin_ryan's Avatar

      Everything tasted different after I started on Chemo, but chocolate was the worst in that it had no taste for me. I remember eating peanut M&M's and could taste the candy and the nut, but it was like someone stole the chocolate. It has been 8 months for me and it is starting to taste better but still nowhere like it used to. Cruel side effect.

      over 2 years ago
    • mac101467's Avatar

      Wow, so many different responses on this. I used to dislike chocolate and would refuse it. When going through treatments (when I was able to eat and drink still), the only thing I could taste was chocolate. Now I actually like it a lot. Give it time, it may come back after a period of time, but always have something to help wash it down to help break it down if you need to.

      over 2 years ago
    • gwendolyn's Avatar

      Chocolate tasted weird (bad) for a few months after chemo. Getting better now (5 months out)!

      over 2 years ago
    • krbrowndog's Avatar

      I have difficulty eating anything, including chocolate, but not for the reason you site. The only things that I can eat are macaroni and cheese, yogurt, pudding and "Ensure protein drinks) oh yes and chocolate, but I have to cut the chocolate into tiny peiced the size that can melt in my mouth or that I can swallow whole, as I cannot chew at all. My tongue does not move much and it is only half its normal length so moving food around in my mouth is difficult at best. I would be willing to bet that your taste buds will return to normal and you will once again be able to eat chocolate. You should consider yourself fortunate that you can eat at all, so just be patient and I'm sure you'll be ok.

      over 2 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more head & neck/throat cancer questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Head & Neck/Throat Cancer page.