• Has anyone had to decide between radiation and brain surgery for brain mets? What did you do and how did you come to your answer?

    Asked by packerbacker on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

    Has anyone had to decide between radiation and brain surgery for brain mets? What did you do and how did you come to your answer?

    I had been having left arm weakness and balance problems for about 1.5 weeks and had an MRI of my head and neck Monday. I have a lesion in my frontal lobe. I see the radiation doctor and neurosurgeon today and tomorrow and then a meeting with my medical onc doc Thurs to help with making the decision. Did you also look at anything online to help with your decision? I really trust my onc doc (the primary doc on the case), but I'm just wondering what others' experiences have been.

    3 Answers from the Community

    • gwendolyn's Avatar

      packerbacker, I can't answer your question but wanted to let you know I read it and I'm sorry about your recent development. I hope someone comes along soon to share a similar experience.

      over 5 years ago
    • LuvinSis' Avatar

      Where are the mets and how invasive would the brain surgery be? Much of what to consider is the potential side effects (for example, in speech center? Motor control area?) And is surgery minimally invasive with potential of radiation after if needed.

      over 5 years ago
    • packerbacker's Avatar

      Hi, LuvinSis! I started about 1.5 years ago with a diagnosis of tongue cancer, which, after chemo and radiation revealed a lung lesion, which was removed. After back surgery from a fall, they found bony mets to the right hip also. After more chemo, a Pet scan revealed 6 new sites: 3 in my lung, 1 on 1 of my adrenal glands, 1 lymph node, and another on my tongue. After the lymph node was biopsied, we were just about to start chemo when this arm weakness started. Everything has been on my left side. The lesion found in the frontal lobe is affecting my left arm weakness and coordination and grasp, and I have balance problems, The Gamma-Knife radiation can give me more weakness for a while, but it should resolve. Not much regarding speech problems, some possible memory problems. If I would have a craniotomy, the risks would be greater. They said the tumor is perfect for this Gamma-Knife thing, so we are doing it next Thursday, 1/24.. I shouldn't need further radiation, just chemo for the other sites. I'll keep everyone posted! I'm not giving up the fight yet!

      Thank you for your support wware and LuvinSis! This site really can be helpful and supportive, and it has helped me many times! Thank you WhatNexters!

      over 5 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more sarcoma - adult soft tissue cancer questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Sarcoma - Adult Soft Tissue Cancer page.