• Help needed

    Asked by Mickeysaucedo on Tuesday, May 7, 2013

    Help needed

    Need help paying for reconstructive surgery

    8 Answers from the Community

    8 answers
    • Ydnar2xer's Avatar

      Reconstruction HAS to be provided for breast cancer patients, by law, I've heard. You might want to check it out.

      over 4 years ago
    • karen1956's Avatar

      Do you have health insurance? if so, it has to pay for your recon....with out health insurance I don't know what the "laws" are, but ask the patient navigator at your local hospital..they can help with available resources....

      over 4 years ago
    • AlizaMLS's Avatar
      AlizaMLS (Best Answer!)

      Dear Mickeysaucedo,

      Hi, I'm Aliza, a Breast Cancer patient and the site's unofficial resident Medical Librarian. I offer answers (most often non medical-it's illegal for Librarians to offer med advice [it's considered practicing medicine sans license]), but I offer referrals to doctors, hospitals, institutions, agencies, websites, books, media, etc. as well as research when requested or required.

      What Ydnar2xer has told you is true. Your reconstruction is to be provided for you by law. I don't know where you had your mastectomy, but your treating hospital should be willing to provide this service for you. I would if I were you, contact either an Administrator or the social worker at this hospital to find out the information. If it is not conclusive, contact the ACS, CancerCare, Susan Komen, wwwdotBreascancercotorg, tetc.

      You may also wish to check with your insurance company (because they should be willing to explain to you that this is a service that they provide). You should also check with them to see if you are entitled to any home health aide care following your reconstruction (for free) as part of your insurance. I'd advise putting your valuables in a safe place if you'll have a stranger in your home when you're not in tip top shape (too many sad stories of things gone missing)
      Another thing to do is if you belong to a religious community, contact your clergyperson asap. They can also advocate for you at this time as well. Within each faith group, there are the larger organizations that can be most helpful-Catholic Charities, The Jewish Board of Family and Children's Services and The Association of Protestant Welfare Agencies. You can approach these groups on your own without the intervention of your clergyperson but she/he may now folks at these orgs so it might be helpful to go through her/him.

      Reconstruction is you right! Make sure you assert yourself. We're here to support you!!

      I'd really recommend that you contact CancerCare in any event as well because it sounds like you're under great stress and you could certainly use an additional means of support now. Their Social Workers are great and deal with the highly specific needs of Cancer patients such as all of us (and our caregivers). It's not like "regular theray". It's very supportive and warm. You can speak with them on the phone if time and distance don't permit an office visit or see them in person if circumstance allows.

      I hope you feel a bit more empowered now. If there's anything I can do for you, please contact me here on the site or email me offsite. I wish you the best of luck in getting your reconstruction.

      Warm Wishes,

      over 4 years ago
    • carm's Avatar

      Try needymeds.org and on the left side of the home page you will see diagnosis-based assistance. Click on that, and then diagnosis list, then C for cancers-all. Here you will see a list of national and by state organizations that can help with assistance. Best of luck to you, Carm RN.

      over 4 years ago
    • BuckeyeShelby's Avatar

      I work in the health insurance industry -- everyone is right. All of our employer groups have provisions for reconstruction. If you have no insurance, you might want to check out the resources tab above, as you may find some solutions that way. I hope everything works out for you.

      over 4 years ago
    • SandiD's Avatar

      Click on the purple box at the bottom of the right side of this page. There is usually good info there. Also check out www.breastcancer.org for info on many topics. Don't give up, we really have to advocate for ourselves. You should also have a social worker affiliated with your cancer center that might help you navigate the system.

      over 4 years ago
    • Mickeysaucedo's Avatar

      Thank You for all your information. I have not had my double masectamy done yet. I have had a large mass removed already. And I have had about 6 biopsy done. I so scared. I also have diabetes, high blood pressure, Billiary cisshoiris of the liver, depression.
      My mother passed away a couple of years ago. My brother passed a year later.and OMG my father passed away in Feb 6,2013. 2weeks later I find out about my breast. what elsecan happen to me....

      over 4 years ago
    • SandiD's Avatar

      I am sorry to hear about your family. I lost my father and teenage son pretty close together. My mother left us years ago. It sure doesn't help us cope with cancer when we are also grieving. You must feel overwhelmed. God bless you. I believe your family is close by still and hoping you will get the care your deserve and need.❤

      over 4 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more breast cancer questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Breast Cancer page.