• Hi, my mom has lung cancer and I am her primary caregiver. Does anyone know if there is financial assistance for me as h

    Asked by dwyhsu on Thursday, February 9, 2012

    Hi, my mom has lung cancer and I am her primary caregiver. Does anyone know if there is financial assistance for me as h

    Add optional details about your question here

    3 Answers from the Community

    • mamajltc's Avatar

      Hi...My husband has stage 4 colon cancer. He was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago. I knew we had to deal with this terrifying diagnosis, but not the financial stuff...but we found some wonderful resources.
      First, please contact the American Cancer Society...they are an incredible source of information.
      Do a search under 'financial help for cancer patients'...'financial assistance for lung cancer patients' etc...be as specific as possible. There are so many places out there, and many specific to the individual diagnosis.
      Speak to your town hall, call your utilities, file for state assistance if you are eligible (food stamps, etc).
      Speak with the social worker at the hospital or clinic.
      Speak with the doctors and nurses
      Ask friends and other patients if they have heard of anything.
      When my husband got diagnosed, we lost an entire income.
      The social worker gave us gift cards to the restaurant at the hospital.
      We spoke to the parking clerk (he is being treated at a large city hospital). We get discount parking...instead of $10, we pay $6-. He goes every week to chemo and other appointments as well, so this is a huge savings.
      These are just a few of the things we receive and places you can go...ask ask ask, but don't feel overwhelmed.
      I have found through this journey, that there are incredibly kind people out there...
      Good luck, choose hope and know you are never alone!

      about 9 years ago
    • mamajltc's Avatar

      One other thing we did was contact the companies of products he uses. Depends sent out a bunch of coupons. And also we asked his doctor if any of the over the counter meds to relieve some of his symptoms, could be in prescription form--often times it is cheaper than the over the counter meds, depending on your insurance. (ex, Immodium can cost a small fortune if you need it often, as my husband does...as does acid reducers. He was able to get prescriptions for similar items, and a much lower cost). Again,...Good Luck!! :)

      about 9 years ago
    • Lynn's Avatar

      Great answers from mamajltc. The ACS is a wealth of information. They connected me with CancerCare which helped with gas to get back and forth to treatment (I was some 150+ miles from the cancer center).
      The Salvation Army will help IF they have funding. You may also want to check with the American Lung Association. They may have funds available as well.
      But as mamajltc says, tell everyone what is going on. You'll be surprised where support will come from.

      about 9 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more non-small cell, lung cancer questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Non-Small Cell, Lung Cancer page.