• I am having a lumpectomy in oct then radiation. I will be 4 hours away. is there any where I can get financial help for my car pymt, insur,

    Asked by jojosmom on Sunday, October 7, 2012

    I am having a lumpectomy in oct then radiation. I will be 4 hours away. is there any where I can get financial help for my car pymt, insur,

    phone for a couple months til I can work again? I'm single.

    5 Answers from the Community

    5 answers
    • FreeBird's Avatar

      I hear you!

      You might try looking for local resources-- churches, a social worker at your local hospital, local government, to see if they know of any resources locally that could temporarily help with living expenses.

      There is hopefully going to be someone who can help with transportation to and from your appointments. The American Cancer Society has the Road to Recovery program http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/SupportProgramsServices/index I do not know how many people drive four hours, but it's worth looking into.

      The following link is a list of resources from a foundation for a different cancer than you have, but the list applies generally to cancer. http://www.lustgarten.org/patientmedicalexpenses

      The Cancer Card Xchange http://www.cancercardxchange.org/ tries to gift around $100. in donated gift cards to cancer patients if their supply allows it. Contact Emily Thomas, http://www.cancercardxchange.org/p/referrals.html explain the situation, the cancer you have, show something that shows you have a cancer, list any gift cards you could use-- general debit card, Walgreens or CVS pharmacy, gas card, whatever will help with your expenses. Provide the name and address. Then send a thank you through her to the people who donate to let them know how much it's appreciated.

      I cannot imagine travelling 4 hours every time you go to an appointment. Best wishes to you.

      I hope more people post their ideas.

      about 5 years ago
    • SueRae1's Avatar

      FreeBird has given you some great advice. I can not imagine the stress of having to travel 4 hours in each direction for treatment. Speak to the social worker at the radiation center and/or hsopital where you are being treated they really know how to work the system to make sure you get the support you need. They may be able to get you transportation to and from your treatments - not the same as $$$ for insurance pymts, but a really be help on the burden of physically get to and from your treatments. Speak with your oncologist and medical insurance company and see if there is somewhere closer to home where you can receive treatment.

      about 5 years ago
    • Lynn1947's Avatar

      My sister's insurance paid for her masectomy/reconstruction but wouldn't pay for chemo.Her surgeon got things going but had to send her to another hospital not far from the one she's been going to.Within 3 weeks she had her first chemo treatment.I'm sure someone can help you like the others mentioned.I also went 4 hours for treatment years ago for a serious illness.Hard to be so far from home. Missed my family even though it was a week stay. I had a lumpectomy but didn't need chemo or radiation.Just take tamox. Wishing you the best for your surgery and help for some expenses.

      about 5 years ago
    • ruthieq's Avatar

      Why do you travel so far for the radiation, is there no radiation oncology in DesMoines? If you can arrange something closer that will ease the need for being off work perhaps . I went to work after my rads(takes 10 mins tops) every day and was able to work no problem. I would rather ask the onco if you can transfer to a rads center closer to home. they can still take the prescription and set you up closer.

      about 5 years ago
    • fitzkc's Avatar

      I contacted the place where I have the loan for my car and got a 2 month deferment until I can be back to work at least part time. I was able to do the same with some other payments. I have found by getting in up front before I was behind was very helpful. I have been off work since august 23. Had masectomy and have had 2 rounds of my chemo. I am planning to work two half days this week to see how it goes. ACS will provide a gas card if you call them and they have other resources as well. The case manager at the cancer treatment center can be very helpful for resources. Stay positive......brenda

      about 5 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more invasive (infiltrating) ductal carcinoma questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Invasive (Infiltrating) Ductal Carcinoma page.