• I am interested in a second opinion, how do I go about this

    Asked by Tracey on Wednesday, July 25, 2012

    I am interested in a second opinion, how do I go about this

    Wife diagnosed and say its spread too far...basically can treat it but only for comfort purposes

    5 Answers from the Community

    5 answers
    • CarolLHRN's Avatar

      Ask for references from friends and family for suggestions of another provider. Most hospitals now offer hotlines to refer you to providers as well. If you had any tests from the first provider, be sure to get copies of all of the test results and films if possible. It will be helpful to bring them to the second doctor to avoid having the tests again and delaying care. You may also consider contacting your insurance company and ask for a case manager to be assigned. The case manager can help you find other providers in your area as well as provide medical information and resources.

      over 8 years ago
    • nancyjac's Avatar

      I have to disagree with Carol on this one. The purpose of a second opinion is to review and interpret test results, treatment plans, etc. It is not for shopping for another provider, but rather a medical consultation. The most qualified person to do this is your wife's oncologist, not friends and family. Generally speaking, doctors will not provide a second opinion, nor will insurance providers pay for it if you are contact another oncologist directly. However, if she has her oncologist do it, then the other doctor is more likely to accept the consult and your insurance company for likely to pay for the consult.

      over 8 years ago
    • Carol-Charlie's Avatar

      I agree with Nancy.. Tell your oncologist that you'd like to have another oncologist. But before doing one more thing. I suggest you and your wife pray together. Ask the Lord to lead you to where he wants you both to be. Ask Him to guide your treatment, trust in Him.

      over 8 years ago
    • Margebhutch's Avatar

      I agree that your current oncologist is the best source for a referral to another specialist. The second opinion (consulting) oncologist should not be in the same group and preferably is affiliated with a cancer center where they would know about clinical trials that may be appropriate.
      Don't be embarrassed to ask the first oncologist for a referral and do it in person if at all possible. If they are reluctant or defensive it is all the more reason to get another opinion. Most doctors will welcome the consult and this is a great way for them to learn from one another.
      In my husbands case the main oncologist had the best specialist in the area on speed dial on her phone. Called while we were there and had an appointment within 24 hours. We decided to stay with the consulting doctor based on affiliation with a National Cancer Institute center and the availability of a clinical trial. The initial treatment is exactly the same as the original doctor and she was pleased we found a trial and provided all of the information. My husband was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer that had spread to his liver and bones - so we felt that the first line treatment choice was crucial.

      over 8 years ago
    • Fusionera's Avatar

      In California we have a non-profit organization that gives cancer patients second opinions at no charge. Does your stte have anything like this? I've included the link to the CA organization here; perhaps if you contact them they might be able to recommend something in Texas. http://www.thesecondopinion.org/ . Even better, call your local American Cancer Society and see if they can recommend an organization like this in your area.

      over 8 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more cervical cancer questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Cervical Cancer page.