• I had a bilateral in November, and one of the expanders removed in Dec. due to infection. I have developed frozen shoulder.

    Asked by siestaluvr on Monday, February 4, 2013

    I had a bilateral in November, and one of the expanders removed in Dec. due to infection. I have developed frozen shoulder.

    Does anyone have suggestions for exercises, etc, to relieve this pain? My dr never suggested exercises for me to do after surgery.

    6 Answers from the Community

    6 answers
    • SMT4's Avatar

      I don't have the same cancer you do, but with my neck surgery I was assigned physical therapy rehab for my neck because it became very stiff after surgery. Maybe you can check with your dr for a referral or script to a physical therapist at your hospital that works with patients with your specific needs.

      over 4 years ago
    • gwendolyn's Avatar

      I would definitely recommend you work with a physical therapist, ideally one with experience with women post-mastectomy.

      over 4 years ago
    • nancyjac's Avatar

      A friend of mine had a frozen shoulder, not from expanders but from an old injury. She had physical therapy that was primarily manipulation under sedation to increase range of motion.

      over 4 years ago
    • Dick_K's Avatar

      I developed frozen shoulder some time ago, probably brought on by poor posture sitting at a desk. Shortly after that diagnosis I slipped and fell on some ice and broke my humorous; both the break and frozen shoulder were on the same side. I went through physical therapy for the break and at the same time was helping the frozen shoulder. I was told I would never be back to 100% but I have to tell you, it is pretty darn close. Practicing proper posture and learning appropriate exercise has done wonders for me.

      over 4 years ago
    • Queen_Tatiana's Avatar

      My husband (Peroll) does not have the same cancer as you, but he has developed a frozen shoulder and bad back since his fight with cancer started and he has been referred to physical therapy several times, and he's asked his oncologist and his PCP for a referral when he feels he needs it. Right now he is going to PT, but lately his chemo side effects have been so harsh the PT is reluctant to have him do too much for fear of injurying him further. Ask your oncologist to refer you to a PT with experience working with cancer patients. i wish you the best.

      over 4 years ago
    • tmlovett's Avatar

      Being a Physical Therapist I can't agree more with all the other comments than to have you get to a PT!!! It really can work to improve mobility and function. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me!

      over 4 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more invasive (infiltrating) ductal carcinoma questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Invasive (Infiltrating) Ductal Carcinoma page.