• I have an anxiety disorder and I had an allergic reaction to taxol which impaired my ability to breathe. I need an MRI with contrast. Ideas?

    Asked by sherryg on Tuesday, February 5, 2013

    I have an anxiety disorder and I had an allergic reaction to taxol which impaired my ability to breathe. I need an MRI with contrast. Ideas?

    I was just informed that the open MRI centers in CT are privately owned businesses so.they do not need to be located near any hospitals nor to they have doctors or nurses available on site for any reason even for emergencies. I a paniced about a place in Glastonbury.where I was scheduled for an MRI today and the lack of care and concern that the person who tried to register me showed in addition to the cancer center not knowing.this information or validating my concerns about having an MRI with only technicians on site; given what could happen even in a worst case scenario that I already experienced on Taxin and it shook me up big time. The cancer center.made.me.the problem and they imposed it on me tbrck.up and take this and at sites where there access to doctors, nurses and higher skilled care is not accessible in the geographic area. The cancer did not bother to contact my psychologist for.suggestions on how to work through this with me. I.am upset with my oncologist for this reason

    4 Answers from the Community

    4 answers
    • nancyjac's Avatar

      I understand your situation, but I think the solution needs to come from your end rather than trying to change standard protocols. Imaging and other diagnostic testing is typically done by technicians who are experts in the process and equipment for their areas of expertise. It is more of a mechanical process than a medical one. To have doctors available on site for no particular reason would just be cost prohibitive and they could not stay in business. Think of it as having a cardiologist living you your home just in case you had a heart attack. It is pretty much the same situation. I'm sure all imaging centers have a protocol for calling 911 if a customer has an allergic reaction to contrast (or has a heart attack) while at their facility. As them about that protocol to callm your fears.

      You will have many situations like this throughout your cancer treatment journey, so you need to somehow find a way to be able to deal with it. Hopefully your psychologist can help you with that, but keep in mind, he/she is not a medical doctor either.

      over 4 years ago
    • carm's Avatar

      Sherryg, These techs have to be CPR certified, and the next time that this comes up, you might consider asking your doc for a one time prescription for an ant-anxiety med like Ativan, valium or Xanax so that you can go thru the test with a sense of calm. Many patients have a sensitivity to Taxol. It is derived from the bark of a tree and some people have those types of organic allergies or sensitivities. The dye used in a CT is contrast medium and some people are sensitive to it as well, but the scan can be done without contrast if necessary. MRIs use gadolinium which is a heavy metal on the periodical table and different than contrast. PETs use radio-isotope. Which ever you are using, I can assure you that the staff is well trained in emergency situations. It is part of the criteria when private businesses open these establishments. I used to teach CPR and had many students who came from places like this. All of them have basic crash carts in case you have an allergic reaction. Best of luck, Carm.

      over 4 years ago
    • sherryg's Avatar

      They have doctors and nurses on site during mris with contrast in New York state. They also have stand up mris that do not have the machine over the patient's face.

      over 4 years ago
    • SantaMarie's Avatar

      I also have major anxiety. I once tried going into an open MRI and needless to say I freaked out. So, my doctor had to write a prescription for an anti-anxiety pill (Xanax) and that is the only thing that got me through the MRI. I took it an hour before and I did just fine. In fact, I almost fell asleep I was so relaxed. Just a suggestion, but maybe ask your doctor for a prescription.

      over 4 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more ovarian and fallopian tube cancer questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Ovarian and Fallopian Tube Cancer page.