• I have been diagnosed as, 100% cured through surgical extraction. I am not getting any follow-up treatment. However, looking over my ct scan

    Asked by joedy1950 on Thursday, November 1, 2012

    I have been diagnosed as, 100% cured through surgical extraction. I am not getting any follow-up treatment. However, looking over my ct scan

    I have found other areas of concern,such as, cerossis,pancrease,aorta,and enlarged lymph nodes. what should I do?

    12 Answers from the Community

    12 answers
    • Harry's Avatar

      I certainly would not rely on my own reading.

      Have you asked your doctor about these areas of concern? What did he say?

      If I were unsatisfied with the answers, I would get a second opinion. Get a copy of your ct scan and all other material related to your treatment including the surgical report and take it to a different doctor. I would tell my current doctor what I was doing and I would contact my insurance to be sure I'm covered for a second opinion. Considering that you live in NH, I would go to Boston and see someone at Dana-Farber or Mass General.

      almost 8 years ago
    • nancyjac's Avatar

      If they are unrelated to your cancer, go to your primary care physian.

      almost 8 years ago
    • FreeBird's Avatar

      Congratulations on your success with the surgery. That's good news. It's difficult to interpret those CT scans without the disciplined education in it. On dad's first cancer scans, I could have sworn I saw France. The best thing to do is what was mentioned-- ask the doctor about those concerns, then take your scans for a second opinion if you feel uneasy about your doctor's assessment.

      almost 8 years ago
    • po18guy's Avatar

      My hematologist does not really like radiologists. He considers them to be alarmists, since, to cover their backsides, they magnify the potential importance of each and every abnormality in our bodies, whether or not it actually means anything. By their standards, there is virtually no one who has nothing abnormal in their body. They will point out congenital abnormalities that have zero effect on your health or your life. Have your primary doctor read the scan results and take any action they think is appropriate. I am betting that they find nothing alarming.

      almost 8 years ago
    • abrub's Avatar

      Appendix cancer - you need to see a specialist. Unless the tumor was definitely fully contained and extremely small, surgery alone will not cure it. You need to go to one of the Appendix Cancer experts. There are some in Massachussetts (Dr. Lambert and Dr. Goodman). I go to Memorial Sloan Kettering, Dr. Paty in NYC. There is also Dr. Kane at Roswell Park in Buffalo. Then further afield, you have experts in Pittsburgh and the DC/Baltimore area.

      Please have your records sent on to an expert. Your life truly depends on it.

      almost 8 years ago
    • Lirasgirl33's Avatar

      Definitely discuss your findings with your doctor. After reviewing my last CT/PET scan report I noticed there was a hernia mentioned in the report which my doctor didn't discuss with me. Prior to the CT/PET scan I had noticed a small bump on my stomach and had previously told my doctor about it. He said he didn't feel any masses and dismissed it. The hernia turned out to be caused by my hysterectomy incision. I finally asked my doctor and he said it isn't a big deal and shouldn't cause any complications. He said at a later time I can have surgery to fix it but not right now. So yes, anything that you don't understand or have concern over is best to be discussed with your doctor.

      almost 8 years ago
    • Peroll's Avatar

      I would suggest that you might want to get and appointment with the radiologist that did the report that concerns you and have him explain what he noted in the report. You need to understand that radiologists normall sit infront of computer screens looking at scans all day and do not normally face patients directly so they will not be used to dealing with this kind of questioning.

      If you do get a second opinion you will probably need to get a second radiologist to look at the scan as other types of doctors (Oncologiosts or PCPs) will look mostly at the Radiology report and tell you what that says and may not be able to explain the interpertation.

      What you will porobably find is that the areas of concern have been noted on a single scan and are noted as things to watch on future scans for growth. Remember that CT scans just see differences in tissue density and cannot tell direclty what causes them. In most cases there are several potential causes other than cancer for the items noted on the scan and the normal practice is to wait ntil the next scan to see if it grows like cancer before getting too worried.

      When you nexty meet with your Oncologist ask him how fast your cancer grows, usually expressed in number of weeks to double in size. This should give you and ideal of how far apoart your scans should be and give you a baseline to see i the areas of concern are acting like cancer.

      Best of luck and we are all praying that these items are not the return of your cancer.

      almost 8 years ago
    • Momx3's Avatar

      I did a second opinion for peace of mind. I went to MDA (because I live near there). They went over everything, including recutting my pathology from surgery and reassesing it. Good luck.

      almost 8 years ago
    • Carol-Charlie's Avatar

      How did your Oncologist describe these areas. What does he want to do? Then if you are still uncomfortable do as Harry suggested and seek a second opinion! God Bless you!

      almost 8 years ago
    • SueRae1's Avatar

      I always read my scan reports, Scans pick up all sorts of things most of which are not relevant and/or benign. After my last set of scans I asked my oncologist "if there would be anything that might freak out" and he discussed some to the findings that would cause concern but where completely normal. Each radiologist takes has a different style (some use CM some MM when describing size) and all use Medical Terms, which can sound very very scary because they have specific meanings, that can be the exact opposite of what the lay terms means. That said discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Get a 2nd opinion from another surgeon and/or oncologist. Another set of eyes is always helpful, They usually confirm what you already know, which is very comforting, and they do have ideas on treatment that may not have occurred to your primary team, and last but not least, not be an alarmist, they may pick up something that was missed the first time a around.

      almost 8 years ago
    • geekling's Avatar

      Second opinion. Third opinion. Each independent of each other. Happily, some or your respondents gave you a few names. It might behoove you to make some personal lifestyle changes. The AMA has finally come out in agreement with a plant based nutritional life and your body needs regular movement in order to thrive. What ever your lifestyle has been, there is always room for improvement and for more love and a more loving and positive attitude which, in itself, lessens stress.

      almost 8 years ago
    • bargoo's Avatar

      I had breast cancer many years ago and had surgery at that time after several years my Doctor told me I didn't have to worry about it anymore. 23 years later I have Metastisized breast cancer, in other cancer has spread from the original site these many years later.,No one knows why it has spread so many years later. It has spread to my bones and I am in treatment now. I take these statements that someone is cured of cancer with a grain of salt.

      almost 8 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more mucinous adenocarcinoma of the appendix questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Mucinous Adenocarcinoma of the Appendix page.