• I just lost Mass Health/Commonweath Care as health insurance, where to go?

    Asked by mamajltc on Saturday, July 28, 2012

    I just lost Mass Health/Commonweath Care as health insurance, where to go?

    I work 60 hours a week and between my own income and my husbands income, we were just told we make too much to qualify for this or Commonwealth Care. Yet with our enormous expenses, our income is already swallowed up. I am a nanny, whose boss cannot offer health insurance. My husband has stage 4 colon cancer and cannot work. We have one adult child with mental health issues and cannot work (yet he is no longer considered part of our 'family' when it comes to determining income) They assigned me Health Safety Net...which I am still confused about, but appears that I cannot use my current doctors which I trust and am terrifiied of having to leave. Has anyone had experience with Health Safety Net, or know where else to turn. Too much $, yet can barely make ends meet and just can't afford another bill...
    Thank you so much in advance!!!!

    3 Answers from the Community

    • GregP_WN's Avatar

      I am in a similar boat, I have insurance, but it sucks, only pays about half, with a 5k deductable, won't cover any dental even though what I need is a result of cancer and subsequent treatments. I am dealing with a group called The Patient Advocate Foundation. It's hard to get through to them, but they are a group that has resources to several places that help with lot's of different Items. I don't know if they are going to be able to help me or not. But worth a try, they were referred to me by the American Cancer Society. A call to the800 number at ACS will get you started on possible sources. You will have to google the Patient advocate foundation for their number, numbeers cant be listed here. Good luck to you!

      about 5 years ago
    • Valentinegirl's Avatar

      Most managed care companies offer case management services, so you may want to call Health Safety Net, and ask about this. Nurse Case managers can be very helpful in answering medical questions, and some companies have social care managers who may be able to provide you with some financial resources. You may also want to speak with a social worker at the hospital in which your husband receives treatment - I utilized the social worker at MGH who has been very helpful.
      I believe that Health Safety Net is a state insurance. If it is. please know that Massachusetts has a few managed care companies, and that you can choose which one suits you best. You may want to do some on-line research about Health Safety Net as well as the other state insurance companies, and if you would like to change companies, ask to do so. It's your right to do so. Good Luck!!!

      about 5 years ago
    • mamajltc's Avatar

      Hi...thanks so much for your answers. Turns out my only option is buying health insurance...so am working extra hours as a nanny. I am grateful to be able to do this...

      about 5 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more colorectal (colon) cancer questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Colorectal (Colon) Cancer page.