• I'm looking for some advice on finances. Even though I've been paying on my bills every month, my hospital is taking me to court.

    Asked by HollyG on Thursday, September 6, 2012

    I'm looking for some advice on finances. Even though I've been paying on my bills every month, my hospital is taking me to court.

    They only give you a year from each bill to pay it off. I was unable to pay off a $7000 bill within a year, even though I've never missed a monthly payment, and they served me with court papers on Monday. I could use some advice. I'm stunned and sad and scared about how this could turn out.

    5 Answers from the Community

    5 answers
    • derbygirl's Avatar

      Check with the hospital to see if they have a way to help you with the bills. I know for me I had a tough time paying because not only did I have 2 surgeries for ovarian cancer but I also have had 2 heart surgeries and a heart catheritization which has financially strapped me. The hospital I had my surgeries in have a financial counseler who sat down with me and looked at my income and my debts and was able to help me. It turns out that Lancaster General Hospital has an assistance plan for people in financial need and my bills were wiped out. Not only that, they gave me 1 year of medical assistance so I can see any doctor associated with their hospital and I don't have to worry about being billed for the services. They said they have this program for people with life threatening illnesses who cannot go without being under a doctors care. This has taken a huge weight off my shoulders because I didn't know how I would ever be able to pay what I owed which was about a combined total of $47,000 for the 4 surgeries and the cath not to mention the appointments. My doctors also agreed to waive their fees which is amazing. Now I have the time to get my heart healthy and fight the cancer without worrying about affording to see 8 doctors a year plus all the tests I get every 3 months. I hope you get the help you need and try not to worry. I know how scary financial problems can be but there are people and places to help.

      over 8 years ago
    • nancyjac's Avatar

      This is far too complicated for a simple answer. For some people, filing bankruptcy is financially advantageous. For others it might be qualifying for Medicaid or SSI. I would suggest you start by looking for a local legal assistance organization that can give you advice. Even if they win the suit, they will get a judgment for what you owe. They actually legally already have that, so being sued doesn't really change anything.

      over 8 years ago
    • CatGW's Avatar

      Derbygirl is right. The hospital can offer you financial assistance. You call the financial debt at the hospital and request the application. Fill out the application, include tax information, and other financial information. I have helped my adult children file for assistance, and they have had their debts completely forgiven this way. Again. This takes time. My husband and I did not qualify, because he has too much money invested in his pension.

      Do not ignore this judgement threat. I had a judgement against me for $40, because I refused to pay in full for alterations on my wedding gown. The woman didn't finish the job as agreed. I thought I could win, so I went to court. That judgement really lowered my credit score and was on my record for 8 years.

      over 8 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more invasive (infiltrating) ductal carcinoma questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Invasive (Infiltrating) Ductal Carcinoma page.