• I need more opinions

    Asked by bbay65 on Tuesday, May 14, 2013

    I need more opinions

    My bc has spread to my spine. My doc said to let him know if the pain increases. I'm on Tamoxifin, Zometa and Lupron to treat it. 2 weeks ago I was feeling more pain so I called the office and they said it may be time to start some radiation. So, I found a place closer to home and met w/ that doc. He thought radiation is a good idea (we set up appt to start things). The pain is pretty much gone now. I would describe it more as discomfort. So, I go back to my original doc and he says not to do radiation now. Save it because the meds are working ok. (I hope I'm explaining this clearly). So now I'm in a quandry. I want to do everything to stop the spread. Why wait 'til there's pain. They have said something about fractures. I want to be aggressive. But, I trust my doc's opinion. He called the second doc to consult and cancelled the appt. I haven't heard back from 2nd doc. The confusion is driving me nuts.If anyone can understand my ramblings, I'd value your opinions. Thanx

    3 Answers from the Community

    • chutzpah's Avatar

      I am going thru something similar. I have mets in my illiac and sometimes it bothers me and sometimes it doesn't. So far a couple of tylenol work for me, if I have trouble sleeping I have tylenol with codeine. I am still trying to decide if I should notify MO, but I am leaning towards waiting till my next appointment (beginning of July) I would put off radiation as long as possible.
      Good Luck

      over 3 years ago
    • carm's Avatar

      If there is one thing I can tell you as a nurse who deals with pain issues in oncology and in end of life care, it is that the only thing that works well with bone pain is Ibuprofen or an NSAID. It is true that with that type of radiation there is usually small veterbral fractures that can at best be discomforting, but at worst as I have seen, cause paralysis. If the concensus is to wait, then I would wait as well. Never look for trouble, you will know it when it comes a calling. Best of luck, Carm RN.

      over 3 years ago
    • gwendolyn's Avatar

      I think it's great that your two doctors spoke to each other directly, instead of just using you as a middle man. It sounds like they reached a consensus about holding off on the radiation, but I don't blame you for being stressed. I would call one or both of them and ask more questions about the advantages/disadvantages of holding off on radiation. This is no small matter and you should be at peace with the treatment decisions.

      over 3 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more breast cancer questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Breast Cancer page.