• I was given a choice to do chemo or radiation?

    Asked by cinman141 on Sunday, August 19, 2012

    I was given a choice to do chemo or radiation?

    4 Answers from the Community

    4 answers
    • dougbank's Avatar

      This is impossible to answer given what you have told us. We need to know more like:

      What was the pathology?
      What were your tumor marker levels before surgery? What are they now?
      What, exactly, did the CT scan show? If there were enlarged nodes, how many and how large?
      What, exactly, did they find in your lungs. If you dont have copies of the CT scan reports, you really ought to call the doctor and ask for copies.

      It would also help to know your age and marital status and if you are interested in having kids in the next few years and stuff like that.

      That said, if you were to tell me nothing more than the little you have posted so far, I would say chemo. Radiation is going out of style for this cancer, and chemo is a systemic treatment that would also treat anything in your lungs - if there happened to be anything there. Also, chemo would work on seminoma and nonseminoma, so it doesnt matter if they have the pathology slightly wrong. Nevertheless, I wouldn't blindly go with chemo as it is entirely possible that there are other options, especially if there is only one node and it is small.


      over 8 years ago
    • GregP_WN's Avatar

      Are you trying to decide which to do? For me, I would ask the Dr. which I need. I don't like being the one to decide which is best, I didn't go to school to be the Dr. He did. So I want to be told, with confidence, that I need "this" treatment. Because it would be the best thing to do.

      given that, if I still had to decide, I would take the Radiation over the chemo, just because it's easier. but if there is any doubt that the chemo would do a better job. I'm taking the chemo.

      Best of luck to you, I hope its a quick and easy treatment for you, whichever you choose.

      over 8 years ago
    • markmather's Avatar

      Hi Cinman. I was diagnosed with third stage testicular and they told me because it had spread so much that radiation was not an option. Chemo was my only choice. I'm guessing 2nd stage radiation is an option for you. The chemo was harsh but we knocked it down. Remember you will be your own best advocate during this process. One step at a time. You will find strength you never knew you had. I'm available for support and questions anytime.

      over 8 years ago
    • Crash's Avatar

      In my humble opinion I would go with the chemo. I had chemo, and now I'm watching a dear friend deal with the results of tissue damage from the radiation she received. Her future is not so bright.

      over 8 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more testicular cancer questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Testicular Cancer page.