• Looking for an oncologist that specializes in breast cancer that returns in the lung.

    Asked by Doll9196 on Saturday, October 27, 2012

    Looking for an oncologist that specializes in breast cancer that returns in the lung.

    2 Answers from the Community

    • Harry's Avatar
      Harry (Best Answer!)

      US News and World Report does an annual ranking of the 100 best cancer hospitals in the country. I did a quick look online at their list to see what is available in Georgia. I came across 2. Emory in Atlanta is ranked 39 nationwide. Athens Regional in Athens is in the top 100. Probably either of these is a good choice if they are reasonably close to you. Most hospitals will help you select a specialist among the physicians associated with that hospital.

      If you have to travel, or are willing to travel, then there are other options. there are several highly ranked cancer hospitals in North Carolina with Duke being the highest rated. MD Anderson in Houston is rated #1 in the country. The University of Florida in Gainesville is in the top 50.

      You don't have to go to a nationally ranked hospital. I received excellent care at a local hospital not on that list. I was lucky. My family physician referred me to an excellent oncologist when he didn't understand blood test results. The local hospital where he practices did an excellent job.

      almost 5 years ago
    • nancyjac's Avatar

      There is no such medical specialty. Oncology specialties are by type of treatment (medical, surgical, radiology) not by type of cancer or whether it is an original or recurrence.

      almost 5 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more lung cancer questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Lung Cancer page.