• My insurance has been canceled...need ideas as to where to get assistance to continue with radiation

    Asked by LyndaBabino on Tuesday, January 29, 2013

    My insurance has been canceled...need ideas as to where to get assistance to continue with radiation

    I was on Badger care out of Wisconsin and my insurance was canceled because my son turned 19. I am unable to afford to go through the radiation treatments because I simply cannot afford them. Because of the cancellation, I am now responsible for the payment of my last chemo treatment...over 17,000.00 Yes folks that's for ONE treatment. I worry about not getting the radiation fast enough and my cancer cells come back in the area that was scheduled to be radiated and my second concern is my inability to pay for my medications which include a pain medication, both pills and fentanyl patch and antidepressants. I am in the process of filling out applications for assistance in paying for my meds as well as from the hospital so I can begin the radiation treatments. Any suggestions or experiences that might help is very welcomed. Thank you. God bless.

    10 Answers from the Community

    10 answers
    • po18guy's Avatar

      Not understanding why your son would have anything to do with this. i can see them dropping his coverage, but not yours(?) You can always appeal that termination to them, and to your state's insurance commission - which regulates the insurance industry. As well, your state has a department of social and health services. Your county and city may very well have their own divisions of that same type. Contact them and apply for benefits. As well, if you have become disabled as a result of your cancer, or because of the cancer in combination with other illnesses or conditions, you may very well qualify for Social Security Disability. SS will expedite your claim if you are being treated for cancer. Make sure to include all illnesses or conditions (even from birth) that add up. Supplemental Security Income may also apply. Once you are qualified for Social Security Disability, you also qualify for medicare - although there is a waiting period. Here, you must become your own advocate, and it is indeed the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.

      over 5 years ago
    • ticklingcancer's Avatar

      If you need assistance paying for treatment, a great place to start is The Amercian Cancer Society. I would give them a call and explain your situation. Good Luck.


      over 5 years ago
    • debbie1951's Avatar

      Try contacting the Cancer Support Community in Milwaukee or Middleton, Wisconsin. They can help direct you to find help with payment.
      Gilda's Club
      7907 UW Health Court
      Middleton, WI 53562
      Phone:[phone number redacted]

      Cancer Support Community Greater Milwaukee
      4050 North Oakland Avenue
      Milwaukee, WI 53211
      Phone: 414-962-820

      Also, contact the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society - Wisconsin Chapter
      200 S. Executive Drive Suite 203
      Brookfield, WI 53005
      [phone number redacted] (phone)

      Executive Director
      Ann Marie Frakes
      [email redacted]
      [phone number redacted] (phone)

      over 5 years ago
    • SueRae1's Avatar

      Not suprised at how expensive the treatment was, I see my insurance statements. Check your state website and find out if they offer insurance coverage - NY state has several programs to help people who do not have insurance. You might qualify medicaid. I went on to the Badger care site and noticed they have a plan for adults without children. Why not call them and find out about switching you (and your son) to that plan. here's the link http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/badgercareplus/core/index.htm

      over 5 years ago
    • jhale17's Avatar

      Here is one website that may offer guidance, it is from the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS). Hope this helps.


      Here is some in formation from the site;

      Financial Resources

      In addition to our programs and services for blood cancer patients, families and caregivers, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) is pleased to offer an extensive directory of national and international resources. These organizations can help with cancer-related issues like financial assistance, support and counseling, assistance with transportation and summer camps.

      over 5 years ago
    • debbie1951's Avatar

      This link lists many agencies to help with to pay for treatment costs.
      The website is www.chemotherapyadvisor.com

      All the best to you!

      over 5 years ago
    • kiki95632's Avatar

      Try contacting Patients Advocate Foundation they help with insurance mediation and finacial assitance. Website www.patientsadvocate.org

      over 5 years ago
    • jsuzanne's Avatar

      Hi LyndaBabino, I hope you are doing well! Also, I hope to hear how this is all turning out for you. Take care! :)

      about 5 years ago
    • DaveWaz's Avatar

      Also, be sure to check out our guide on dealing with the financial burden of cancer and our pinterest page.


      Lots of good resources.

      about 5 years ago
    • BigRon's Avatar

      Talk to the hospital social worker.

      I got on medicaid in the hospital because I had no insurance. Long story.

      over 4 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more diffuse large b-cell lymphoma questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma page.