• Port Removal

    Asked by Bashiemn on Saturday, December 15, 2012

    Port Removal

    We've all talked about the frustrations of getting a port put in - but what about getting it removed? How was your port removal experience?

    11 Answers from the Community

    11 answers
    • lynn1950's Avatar

      Port removal was a snap. Because I am a wimp, I had a valium and a friend on the alert to give me a ride home post surgery. The port was removed late in the afternoon in my surgeon's office and the valium I'd taken earlier put me in the mood to be detached enough to be curious about the whole procedure.

      After some local anesthetic deadened the area, my surgeon proceeded to remove the port. It was a painless procedure. I went home happy on the valium. I spent a pleasant evening and finally went to bed.

      I awoke in the middle of the night; the valium was out of my system, the anesthetic had worn off, and I did experience some pain. My surgeon had suggested that I have some Tylenol PM on hand. It did the trick and I slept through the night.

      I had to keep the incision site dry for a couple of weeks until it healed. Like I said, port removal was a snap.

      over 5 years ago
    • Peroll's Avatar

      I hav had two out and three in. The first out was at the same time as the second in as skin over the first port opened up and got infected. The second out was done in he surgeon's office with a local and only took about 10 min. No problems at all. A the rate I'm going I will have my current port for a long time.

      over 5 years ago
    • JennyMiller's Avatar

      The port removal was a little more of a procedure than I personally anticipated -- maybe due to the prep and the fact that they did it in their little operating room. The only discomfort was the injection of the local anesthesia -- the assisting Nurse told me to squeeze his hand --- which I did -- real tight!!! - 5 minutes later, he asked if he could have his hand back -- lol. It was such a relief to have the port out that the healing process was of no consequence at all.

      over 5 years ago
    • Modern's Avatar

      Mine was just done in a normal dr room it took about half an hour and the worst part was the injection of the anesthetic and that's just cause I don't like nedals lol it's really not that bad :)

      over 5 years ago
    • SherrySwett's Avatar

      I don't know about a port but when I had my portacath taken out it was a bear. I'd had it for 6 months and evidently it had grown into the tissues inside. It took over an hour of the doctor pulling and pulling and snipping, etc. I thought my collar bone would break. I was told it would slip right out but it sure didn't. They did say the longer it's in the harder it is to take out. It was like getting teeth pulled.

      over 5 years ago
    • GregP_WN's Avatar

      I had my second port for over 15 years, I wouldn't let them have it back. They kept telling me I needed to have it taken out but I was afraid to let go of it. When I did it was done in the docs office like others have said, only problem in it was after they were done, I got real dizzy and just about fell off the litte table I was sitting on. It was taken out with me sitting upright. Really wasn't bad.

      over 5 years ago
    • Debbie's Avatar

      Thanks for asking this question. I am scheduled for port removal Dec. 18 and have been fretting/stewing since I made the appointment. Big baby about needles :) .

      over 5 years ago
    • Sofi's Avatar

      I had my port out about 3 weeks ago at Fairview Southdale. The group there does it in the OR even though it's not under anesthesia (just mild sedation and I was not conscious for the procedure). It was easy and wonderful to get out. The surgeon cleaned up the scar so it will heal even better than when the port was in. Nothing to worry about!

      over 5 years ago
    • leepenn's Avatar

      Mine came out with my bilateral mastectomy. I was soooo glad to see it go!
      Hey Sofi - HELLOW from Minneapolis!

      over 5 years ago
    • IKickedIt's Avatar

      Piece of cake compared to everything else I had gone through! Yeah, the shots of novocaine were painful, but when my doctor asked if I needed a break, I told him to just keep on going. I just wanted that thing out of me! My son was with me and I was holding his hand, but he tells me to this day how proud he was of me that day. Resilience and determination...it got me through my surgery and chemo and nothing was going to stop me from getting the port out, not even the nasty sting of the novocaine.

      over 5 years ago
    • SmedleyMugwomp's Avatar

      The port came out while I was under in Clinic OR, so--piece of cake. However--the Dr (same one that put it in) left a quarter-inch collor/connector under my skin--which I found a day or so later. Had to go back into Clinic, saw Dr ("What do you want me do do about that?" "Remove it!") and had it removed under a local. To be fair, I had hit the port with a bowling ball months earlier, and probably had broken the connector loose from the port, but he should have found it when he took out the port and cleaned up afterward. Sighhhh....

      over 5 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more anaplastic large cell lymphoma questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma page.