• Sarcoma I had a rod placed in my leg

    Asked by Tallgrass69 on Saturday, May 25, 2013

    Sarcoma I had a rod placed in my leg

    From my hip too my knee cancer ate all my thigh bone. I had Rads to my leg. Edema really bad Dr thought it was mets but P.E.T. showed no evidence. Dr has no idea what to do I suggested water pills dnt work. Any help is appreciated.

    4 Answers from the Community

    4 answers
    • carm's Avatar

      So, there can be a few reasons as to why you have swelling. There could be an issue with your veins and their capability to return blood properly so it might back up, but then a diuretic would usually work. The fact that you had surgery and that you now have a rod leads me to think it might be a histamine build-up from the immune system engaging the rod. You might try Benedryl or Claritin to see if it helps. If you try Benedryl, always double or bolus the first dose so if OTC Benedryl is 25mg then your first dose should be 50mg to stun at the outset. You can try a wrap but at that level, it is best to elevate when not in use. If you can exercise it that might diminish it some but I don't know your restrictions. I think that swelling, if not edema or water retention is usually a hyper sensitivity response to a foreign object (rod) in the body. The fact that it is confined to that area leads me to believe that this might be the case. Your immune system has to adjust to it. But, keep me posted if you can and I will do more research and reach out to colleagues to get you an answer. Best of luck, Carm RN.

      over 4 years ago
    • PrettyToes' Avatar

      Sounds like you have developed Lymphedema. Ask your doctor to refer you to a physical therapist or occupational therapist who is certified in manual lymphatic drainage. He may not know who does that in your community. You may have to call around to various places, and see if anyone does that. It is important to do this. Lymphedema does not get better by itself. Does not get better with diuretics (water pills). The treatment is gentle, but can really make a difference. And there is a machine that you can get to do treatments on yourself. If you put this off it will only get worse. Do it now!

      over 4 years ago
    • CAS1's Avatar

      Yes elevated higher than your heart and the machine to help massage the leg. Could you ask for a therapist to come to your home and administer massage to help the swelling..Check with all of the breast cancer organizations for help and supportive services. Make a list and start calling.

      over 4 years ago
    • mcowett's Avatar

      Try a lymphatic drainage massage. If it's done correctly you will see results that day. You can get one through physical therapy or a massage therapist.

      over 4 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more breast cancer questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Breast Cancer page.