• Scalp Sores

    Asked by Vjp2012 on Sunday, March 24, 2013

    Scalp Sores

    Does anyone know what can be done for extremely painful sores on the bare scalp?

    7 Answers from the Community

    7 answers
    • derbygirl's Avatar

      What I would do is contact your doctor to see if something can be recommended to ease the pain of the sores. There are some hair care products that can be used that have medicine in them but I'd check with your doctor first because some may cause burning depending on the sores. You can also check with a hair stylist and see what they recommend. A well trained hair stylist may have a suggestion on something you could try but still check with your physician first to find out what is causing the sores. Take care

      over 7 years ago
    • Peroll's Avatar

      I( had a rash from my chemo that started on my head as itching and sores. My Oncologist offeres to send my to a dermatologist that he said could treat the rash and lessen the impact. I never needed to do it as the rach moved down my body and became less iritating, but you should ask for a referal to a dermatologist that has worked with cancer patients. They should be able to treat the sores. Good Luck

      over 7 years ago
    • DebbieP's Avatar

      I was told by my nurse to use head and shoulders shampoo. It would help to keep more sores from forming. My sores were painful but were not open sores, just red and inflammed. If they are open sores I am not sure if I would use it. As other people stated always check with your doctor or nurse first.

      over 7 years ago
    • leepenn's Avatar

      I totally had that, and it was HORRIBLE! After some research, I did find a routine that completely solved the problem.

      Wash your scalp with hibiclens with each and every shower. This stuff is available at the pharmacy. Read the label - don't get it in your ears or eyes....
      Hot, cold, whatever... Enjoy your shower....
      Dry your scalp - pat it, rub it, whatever....
      Rub salicylic acid solution over your entire scalp. You can get this at a pharmacy or health food store pretty easily.

      The health care folks told me no hats, no rubbing, no hot showers, no picking, no lotion... AND THAT DIDN"T HELP!!!! And I was EMBARRASSED of how UGLY my scalp was. And I was COLD because my head was naked! So, I did some research and came up with the above action plan.

      Within a week, I noticed a HUGE difference....

      Through the remainder of chemo, I had a smooth scalp - smooth as a baby's butt.

      Hope that helps....


      over 7 years ago
    • NanHope's Avatar

      I would for sure ask your doctor. I had this during treatment and they first gave me a cream to apply (which did not do much) and then I needed antibiotics (orally) to clear it up. The antibiotics did the trick. Good luck :)

      over 7 years ago
    • Vjp2012's Avatar

      Saw oncologist this morning. He said it was folliculitis aggravated by the staph in our well water. Now taking an antibiotic, using Benadryl cream and going to wash with bottled water until we get reverse osmosis put in.

      over 7 years ago
    • Carol-Charlie's Avatar

      My oncologist has a rash person on staff... She saved me many times. I vote for have your oncologist prescribe or get a referral from him./her.

      over 7 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more fallopian tube cancer questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Fallopian Tube Cancer page.