• Should I start chemo again in 2 weeks or wait to see if the cancer is definitely gone(PET scan 3 months)?

    Asked by packerbacker on Monday, July 16, 2012

    Should I start chemo again in 2 weeks or wait to see if the cancer is definitely gone(PET scan 3 months)?

    I have a question: In less than 2 weeks (7/27/12), my chemo doc has scheduled me to start 3 chemo drugs (finished chemo 12/11 with a new nodule found 4/12). My husband wants me to get stronger since I had a wedge resection and then pneumonia and got home from the hospital 7/5/12. I still feel a bit weak and short of breath, but I want to get this over with! The doc says there is no right or wrong answer: I can wait 3 months to see if there is any more cancer or if surgery got it all, or I can start chemo soon to be on the safe side. I lean more on the safe side, given my track record and a strong family history of cancer. I could maybe wait a month, but that makes me nervous. Please let me know what you think! Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank You!

    2 Answers from the Community

    • GregP_WN's Avatar

      It's your decision, but me, I would take the treatment. My first treatment 24 years ago, they stopped treatment thinking I didn't need anymore, then it came back about 6 months later. Maybe it wouldn't have if I had gotten the other treatments? Treatment sucks, but so does being told it's back.

      Good Luck to you!!

      over 4 years ago
    • nancyjac's Avatar

      The only additional thing I can add is that a PET scan doesn't really conclusively determine either the presence or absence of cancer. If a hot spot shows in there area, it just means there is high metabolic activity, which could mean cancer or it could me there is still some healing or inflammation from the surgery going on or any of a number of other things. On the other hand, if there is no hot spot in that area, there could still be cancerous cells that are just not plentiful enough or active enough at the time of the PET to show as a metabolic hot spot. So make whatever decision works for you, but I would not rely on the upcoming PET as a significant factor in that decision.

      over 4 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more head & neck/throat cancer questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Head & Neck/Throat Cancer page.