• To join or not to join that is the question

    Asked by lafaymom on Monday, March 18, 2013

    To join or not to join that is the question

    I feel that when I was approached to have "the talk" with my Doctor he discussed my cancer but I was then pushed into the nurse who was very anxious to get me to enter a Clinical Trial. I would like to chat with someone with Triple Negative Breast Cancer what their experience was like and what they felt l about being in a study or what they did if they didn't enter the study. I would like the Doctor to just tell what he thinks is best for me and they just keep saying enter the study. So does anyone have any experience like mine?

    9 Answers from the Community

    9 answers
    • Clyde's Avatar

      If you can, get the name of the trial and do some research on it, get a second opinion (this you have to do) ask the Dr why he wants you to do it and then decide. I'm always cautious when being pushed towards a trial as sometimes the center or Dr may be being paid to get patients into one (Doesn't mean its a bad trial, but doesn't always mean its the best thing for you.).

      My onc was pushing me to get into a trial, but after research (including here) I found it had mixed to poor results to date and I declined. 6 months later, the posted results have not shown any improvement and even my onc has admitted it isn't the holy grail they had hoped.

      about 9 years ago
    • Berley's Avatar

      I was diagnosed with TNBC and was part of a clinical trial. I reviewed the information on the trial before making my decision to join. I was told I could drop out of the trial at anytime and that I would recieve standard Chemo treatment if I decided to drop. I chose to stay in the trial for the duration. I felt like there was great attention to detail and the qualty of care given due to the documentation needed for the trial. There was strict protocal that had to be followed and documented. I made the right choice for me. And as others have said it felt like I was also contributing something that might be of help for others in the future. For sure ask for and review the trial information. And as said by others, it doesn't hurt to ask second opinion if you still aren't sure.

      about 9 years ago
    • SusanK's Avatar

      Hi. I was diagnosed with TNBC, Stage I and I am 61. I am nearly a year post treatment (bi-lateral mastectomy and six doses of taxotere and cytoxan). Feel free to request my email address if you'd like. I was not asked to particpate in a clinical trial, although I inquired about doing so. My oncologist suggested waiting to see how my chemo went. I was going through reconstruction at the same time and I think he felt for the time-being, I had enough on my plate. I followed his advice. I wish you well as you move forward, whatever you decide.

      about 9 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more triple-negative breast cancer, ductal questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Triple-Negative Breast Cancer, Ductal page.