• Under what conditions with multiple myeloma should I see a hematologist?

    Asked by downbutnotout on Tuesday, April 9, 2013

    Under what conditions with multiple myeloma should I see a hematologist?

    5 Answers from the Community

    5 answers
    • AlizaMLS's Avatar

      Dear dounbutnotout,

      Hello. I'm Aliza, a BC patient and also the site's unofficial Medical Librarian. I've a Master's in Library Science with a concentration in Medicine and I've run a few medical Libraries in addition to serving in many other capacities as a Librarian. I'm retired now, but I offer my services here and elsewhere, providing advice (usually non medical [Librarians tend to avoid offering medical {and legal} advice; it's against our code of ethics and also happens to be somewhat illegal as it's practicing medicine {or Law} without a license]). So I can't give suggestions as to what people do medically unlike most people on the site since I came here in my professional capacity. But what I do is offer referrals to doctors, hospitals/institutions, agencies, etc. and research when required/requested.

      Your question interested me because one of my favorite aunts had this illness. I just did some magic with research and found you-not a cure (I wish! I'd love to go to Oslo...;), but the next best thing perhaps right now which is information.

      If you go on Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center's website (btw, that's where Im treated). Their website (which I have to spell out this strange way is: wwwdotMSKCCdotorg. Sorry if that's hard to read. I'm not telling you to go get treated there, but they have a very thorough explanation of what multiple myeloma is, symptoms, and how it's treated. Sometimes you (me) find things in your own backyard if you remember where to look...;)

      If you have difficulty maneuvering Sloan Kettering's website or any other questions I can help you with, I'm happy to do so. Feel free to message me here or email me offsite.

      Warm wishes,

      over 7 years ago
    • Debio's Avatar
      Debio (Best Answer!)

      This is not a question for laymen like the people on this sight. People have done research but none of us know that specifics of your case. My oncologist works directly with a hematologist. It is your doctor's call and either you trust them or you don't. I saw a hematologist when we were talking about a stem cell transplant. He specializes in transplant experimentation as well as standard bone marrow transplants. Your Doctor will know when it is necessary. What you need to do is bring up the question at your next appointment. If your doctor isn't helping you or inspiring confidence in him or her, change doctors. Your oncologist needs to have had a great deal of experience with Multiple Myeloma. If they haven't, move on.

      over 7 years ago
    • Gma's Avatar

      My Dr at MD Anderson is a hematologist that treats only Myeloma. My local oncologist is a gp type that treats all cancers. There are significant differences in their knowledge base and approach to treatment of Myeloma.

      over 7 years ago
    • Cat's Avatar

      I am very lucky to that my doctor is hematologist/oncologist Very smart lady!

      over 7 years ago
    • Therose's Avatar

      My oncologist was aware of my MM enough to refer me to BMT right away. I do not ever recall seeing hemotologist although when being considered for stem cell transplant a team made decision along with my BMT. A hemotologist may have been a part of the team. I was blessed my oncologist referred me to one of the top BMT specializing in MM treatment.

      over 7 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more multiple myeloma questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Multiple Myeloma page.