• Well Iam glad I went for my second opinion.

    Asked by Trala on Thursday, February 7, 2013

    Well Iam glad I went for my second opinion.

    The surgery has been pushed back another 2 weeks and recovery is going to take longer. Iam going to have a masectomy instead of lumpectopy. Found precancers cells located on other side of breast then the tumor side. So we are going to do a masectomy. The two surgeons disagreed on this which made it difficult for me to make my discision. The first doctor wanted me on chemo sooner so wanted to do lumpectomy. The second surgeon whats to to mastectompy get it all out at once then do chemo. This will mean more recovery time before chemo. I am going with the second opinion. I think less surgery's and doing it right the first time will hopefully be the right choice. The problem is we still don't know if the cancer has traveled to the lymph nodes for sure until after surgery. I am almost certain it has. Only because my lymph node was swollen the same time I found the lump in my breast. Plus I have been having pains on the other breast and arm. The Doctor says this does not matter? Does it?

    9 Answers from the Community

    9 answers
    • HearMeRoar's Avatar

      Trala- Best advice is to be positive and be good to yourself. It is easier said than done! I'm traveling this early journey with you right now! I had a fine needle aspiration of a suspicious lymph node yesterday. Apparently at least two of my nodes look very suspicious. This is all very unsettling. We have to do our best to stay "UP" and if we get "DOWN" to get back "UP" as soon as possible!! I am young too, 36 - by the looks of your profile you are a mommy --- I am too. I have known about this cancer for about a month, still don't have all the answers. I will tell my kids this weekend because I have double mastectomy scheduled for 2/15. Please hang in there and try to stay positive. There are so many wonderful people walking this journey with you side-by-side. XOX)

      over 4 years ago
    • nancyjac's Avatar

      I wouldn't say it doesn't matter, but it may not be related to your cancer.

      over 4 years ago
    • SueRae1's Avatar

      I am glad that you have more options on how to treat your cancer, and that it helped you make the decision that makes you the most comfortable. The pain in your other breast may have nothing to do with the cancer, what did the mammography and sonogram of that breast show.

      over 4 years ago
    • Clyde's Avatar

      Of the two opinions, you talk about where they differ, but where to they coincide? This is equally important to consider. Glad you are happy with your decision.

      over 4 years ago
    • karen1956's Avatar

      I had bilat with axillary dissection and 3 weeks later started chemo...I felt pretty good about 2 - 2 1/2 weeks after the bilat.....all the best to you...

      over 4 years ago
    • JennyMiller's Avatar

      I had bilateral Mastectomy (8 out of 11 positive nodes) and started chemo in 4 weeks. I know that I made the right decision as I wanted to be aggressive against this evil and elusive enemy. Unless the source is known, I personally feel that pain does matter -- it is our body's way of letting us know that something is amiss. I wish you the best -- stay positive!

      over 4 years ago
    • SusanK's Avatar

      I know the problem, trying to decide lumpectomy vs. mastectomy. It is much harder when the doctors have differing views, too. I have tnbc as well, and decided on bi-lateral mastectomy and chemo. It was a peace of mind thing for me as my doctors said chances for long-term survival were the same. I just wanted to be as aggressive as I could be, and in my mind, removing both breasts seemed the logical choice. I made my decision, went into offensive mode, and fought my battle. I have never, not once, had a second thought about my choice. Once you've made up your mind, don't look back. Look forward...to your recovery and happier times with friends and family. Stay strong!

      over 4 years ago
    • CountryGirl's Avatar

      I was told that there was less than 10% chance that it would spread to the other breast. I don't know if that statistic was specific to my situation or a general number. Generally, said my oncologist, the breast cancer moves to an organ, which is why he continues to check my blood levels for liver, kidneys, etc. even though I have been NED for a little more than one year. I had a double mastectomy. I elected not to have reconstruction because it delays treatment and requires a longer recovery.

      over 4 years ago
    • Julie99's Avatar

      I decided on a bilateral mastectomy when I was BRCA-2 positive, even though I don't have a family history. A few hours before I got the results I still had the choice of lumpectomy or mastectomy. SO glad I did the bilateral! The original lump I found which they first said was 1.7cm was really 2.5cm, plus the other 2... a 1cm and .6cm. My surgeon didn't expect any lymph nodes, but 1 tested positive during surgery so she took them all. That 1 was the only positive out of 11. But they got it ALL and that makes me feel a lot better. I'm happy with my decision.
      Trust your gut, speak up for yourself and be your own advocate! If it doesn't feel right for you, speak up. It is a roller coaster ride but staying positive and reach out has made a HUGE difference for me. Best of luck!

      over 4 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more triple-negative breast cancer, ductal questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Triple-Negative Breast Cancer, Ductal page.