• what do you do in days after treatment?

    Asked by mommyNY on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

    what do you do in days after treatment?

    15 Answers from the Community

    15 answers
    • grams2jc's Avatar

      I had chemo 1 time every 3 weeks (breast cancer) so after treatment on Monday I would stay home Tuesday with crazy steroid energy causing me to putter around the house working on little projects, and Wednesday with little energy when I would mostly sleep and then go back to work Thursday until the next scheduled treatment. With radiation I worked every day and went to rads at the end of the day, then home to crash.

      Tried to not overdo so read a lot of books and watched a lot of t.v. while avoiding crowds, anything held at a school, Wal-Mart and sometimes depending on my counts, church.

      Is that what you were asking?

      almost 7 years ago
    • mommyNY's Avatar

      yes, thanks
      i am a bit different, i have 2 small babies, one attends daycare and one is with me.

      thinking out loud-lucky that i am not working.....

      almost 7 years ago
    • Merianne41's Avatar

      I always did the same thing. Ran around like crazy and then crashed. Not easy to do with three kids. The best advice I can give is to try to go a little easier, then you won't have as many problems. Also, talk to your doctor about it. My problem was sleeping.

      almost 7 years ago
    • mommyNY's Avatar

      thanks, what type of problems? how would doctor address family things? kids are my family my stuff.....??
      i try to take it easy....but yet many errands....

      almost 7 years ago
    • GregP_WN's Avatar

      We don't have kids, so I didn't have that problem, lucky. I got totally knocked out by my treatment, I came home, got sick for 4 hrs, then went to bed, slept for 2 days, then I got up and went to work. Same routine each week.

      almost 7 years ago
    • lynn1950's Avatar

      Your treatment is probably different from mine, since I was treated for breast cancer. For me, I was OK the 2 days following treatment. I had a difficult time sleeping because of the steroids. Then I crashed for two days - felt yucky and mostly slept. Then I felt better until the next go round.

      As hard as it is, you may need to let others take care of you for a bit and you definitely must take care of yourself so that you can get better!

      almost 7 years ago
    • mommyNY's Avatar

      working and treatment must be challange.

      my husband is very helpful but with kids yet lots to do. i have to keep active there is no others

      almost 7 years ago
    • Flowerschild01's Avatar

      I took medical leave from work, AVBD chemo regime wiped me out for a week, by the time I was feeling some better, it was time to go again.

      over 6 years ago
    • danellsar's Avatar

      I think the best advice I can give is to try and arrange to have a friend come to help you or to be "on call" for a couple of days after each chemo. They seem to follow a cycle, depending on what type. From what I've seen with my husband, he's usually pretty tired the day of chemo, then the next day is OK (steroids). Days 3 and 4 are usually his hardest ones and he takes a lot of extra naps. Then he's ok for a while till the next round.

      over 6 years ago
    • IKickedIt's Avatar

      I listened to my body and communicated how I was feeling with my loved ones so they knew exactly how I was feeling and what to expect. For the most part, my treatments and side effects were pretty routine so I knew what to expect for the days immediately following treatment. I kept a journal to document everything. It was helpful for everyone to know that during my treatment (a portable 46-hour infusion), I was fine, but I liked to be near home. Then the next few days were my down days I wouldn't schedule anything, but most like the next week I would be fine so I would tentatively plan to live a normal lifestyle.

      After my "down" days, I then lived my life as normally as possible within the boundaries of my side effects. I worked, I played, I lived. Of course, certain activities had to be postponed. I love baseball and going to the shore, but I knew I couldn't plan to do those activities ahead of time. I had to wait to see how I was feeling or go to the shore after the sun went down and the heat broke.

      I also had the attitude that this was just a temporary situation and the 6-months of treatment was a trade-off for a lifetime with my loved ones. That helped my family understand, too. I would insist that they go to the baseball game (I'd watch at home and they would text me), to the shore and the amusement parks without me. Yeah, I missed not being with them, but I wanted them to be refreshed and happy...then we all would be less stressed to handle the difficult days. For us, it was a very successful strategy.

      over 6 years ago
    • nancyjac's Avatar

      There are always others, you may just not know about them. Your doctor can't do anything about your kids but he/she can help you manage your side effects so talk to him about those. Also talk to him about resources in your area. There are organizations who will run errands for you, provide transportation, meals, etc.

      over 6 years ago
    • LizaNgenye's Avatar

      After chemo i was buzzed on "Steriod energy" then crashed for the next 3 days. I was so weak and nauseated so i couldn't do much the whole week- everything made me queasy. Sleep has been my best friend and that's helped me cope atleast until my energy is back up.
      Maybe ask someone to help you with errands and a relative to help you take care of the kids?

      about 6 years ago
    • TheEvilyn8's Avatar

      Personally I did alot of laying around. I was very sick for at least 6 to 7 days after treatment, a rarity case. I had ABVD for Hodgkin s Lymphoma and there are some people who never got as sick as I did...I did treatments every two weeks for a total of 12 chemotherapy rounds. I learned to love MOVIES and Books and music. When I was too sick to read, I listened to music and when I was up to sitting up, I watched movies. I know that sounds like the wrong way to hand the nausea but it was all I could do. I couldn't walk around the block as some people would say and because of how sick I was, I could not work. You have to try and find what works best for you. Good luck.

      almost 6 years ago
    • threecs' Avatar

      I usually slept a lot the day of treatment. My boyfriend would force me to take a short walk outside to get a little exercise and fresh air. I read a lot and watched a ton of TV. We would also take car rides to get out of the house and go to the beach in the late afternoon. I forced myself to eat every 2 hours too, even if it was a little bit. I found that if I ate right before bed and ate right when I opened my eyes I didn't get as naucious. I hope this helps!

      almost 6 years ago
    • DougG's Avatar

      I stayed home on the couch or in bed until I felt better. Usually was only a day or two.

      almost 6 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more hodgkin disease questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Hodgkin Disease page.