• What to do when you loose your job due to cancer?

    Asked by Sanscott on Thursday, October 12, 2017

    What to do when you loose your job due to cancer?

    I recently lost my job i believe due to cancer and my treatments.

    11 Answers from the Community

    11 answers
    • cllinda's Avatar

      It's not fair but it happens all the time. Found out your legal rights. See if you can get unemployment money. And if you are over 50, you have a better chance of getting s.s. disability money.

      9 months ago
    • Sanscott's Avatar

      Hi and thanks for the response. Unfortunately it was a contract so I don't qualify for unemployment. I did however apply for Social Security disability and they said that will take 3 to 4 months for a reply. Currently im trying to find a work from home job while im still in treatnent.

      9 months ago
    • GregP_WN's Avatar

      This is a fairly common problem, Illegal to some extent, depending on your exact definition of your job title. Contract employees have different rules than regular hourly employees, If you get a 1099 at the end of the year, you are either a contract employee or a sub-contractor. That can be tough.

      9 months ago
    • Sanscott's Avatar

      Yes unfortunately that is my case. The question now is where could I work under my current situation? My surgery is not scheduled until December. It would be difficult to find a place that would hire me. This is a tough unique situation for sure.

      9 months ago
    • BarbarainBham's Avatar

      Sanscott, you didn't tell us how you feel! If you feel able to work, apply to all the Temp agencies for short term jobs to long term temp jobs. If you feel OK, you don't need to tell them you have cancer. If you have a lot of appointments coming up, you could explain your situation to the temp personnel agency and ask for advice on what to say. Many times temporary jobs turn into permanent jobs or good references for you, so do a great job.

      If you don't feel good or need off time every week, apply for part-time temporary jobs. Don't depend on working at home or getting SS disability unless you are Stage IV, just in case those things don't occur. The SS website, ssa.gov, has very detailed information about what symptoms SS looks for to approve your disability. Be sure your doctor(s) have documented your specific symptoms in your medical records, because SS needs proof of what prevents you from being able to work.

      If you think you were terminated because of cancer and they have more than 15 employees, you are probably protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) under the U.S. Department of labor. Google it and call their 800 number. I don't know if it's legal to discriminate against a contractor with cancer, but I wouldn't think so, certainly not if it was a "hostile environment." Please update us on contractors being protected, since we all try to help each other. (It's free to call a government office and file a complaint, so don't go to a lawyer.)
      Best wishes.

      9 months ago
    • BoiseB's Avatar

      Here is a link to a site that has an excellent outline with links. They also have a telephone number and a Chat Line
      If you need legal help there are a number of Advocacy Groups that can help you.

      9 months ago
    • BarbarainBham's Avatar

      It won't be difficult to find a temporary job in Atlanta, especially right before the holidays. Is there some reason you were working as a contractor rather than an employee? I would suggest applying online at all theTemp employment agencies and large employers in your area. Hospitals hire temporary employees. After your surgery, you should be able to get a permanent job with benefits (sick leave, etc.) even if you want only part-time hours. (If you are approved for SS disability, they will still let you work part-time.)

      It is difficult to find work from home jobs that are on the up and up, so if you need the paycheck, I wouldn't depend on working at home. Also during cancer treatment and hormone blockers, it's probably better for your mood to work around other people.

      Best wishes. I lived in Atlanta a long time ago.

      9 months ago
    • msesq's Avatar

      Look for a lawyer who specializes in employment discrimination and who takes cases on a contingency basis. There are fairly short time limits on filing an EEOC complaint so don't waste too much time.

      9 months ago
    • junie1's Avatar

      while I was dealing with my cancer,, I signed up for the FMLA,, that protected my job,, They could not terminated me while I was on leave. Even my daughter signed up at her job,, protecting her as my care giver,, so she could take time off to take care of me. I was off for over 3 months,, and when I went back,, all was ok,, I didn't loose any time, pay, or benefits, now I might not have gotten paid for time off,, I had used all my sick time,, but at least I knew that I would still have a job when I went back.
      good luck to all.
      Look into the Family Medical Leave Act. for any of you or any one you know that's still working.

      9 months ago
    • cards7up's Avatar

      You can get SSDI even if you're not stage IV. I was dx stage IIIA and stayed with that dx even after a local recurrence. What you can do is apply for SSI. It's a lower amount you can receive until you're approved and start receiving SSDI. Even if approved for SSDI, it starts 6 months after your application date. FMLA does not apply to contract jobs. Do you have health insurance? If not, then you should apply for Medicaid.

      9 months ago
    • BarbarainBham's Avatar

      Cards7up, I meant not to "depend on" SS disability approval if you aren't Stage IV, so she wouldn't stay home. It depends on your ability to work and if you and your doctor furnish documentation as they request on the website. I believe SSI is only for low income patients.

      FMLA only applies to places with 50 employees or more, which is a good reason to look for jobs at larger places.

      The ADA applies to people working for an employer with 15 employees or more. Since it's about discrimination and being rude, I thought there might be a chance a contractor could use it. (?) It also says to call one of their EEOC field offices to determine that.

      Here's government ADA info and a list of other government resources:

      Government info specific to cancer:

      Please let us know what you find out. Best wishes.

      9 months ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more breast cancer questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Breast Cancer page.