• where can i get help for high deductible? just cuz I have insurance doesn't mean I have money. I haven't even started treatment...$$$

    Asked by vge2013 on Wednesday, March 13, 2013

    where can i get help for high deductible? just cuz I have insurance doesn't mean I have money. I haven't even started treatment...$$$

    8 Answers from the Community

    8 answers
    • INSBOB's Avatar

      hi, don't know what type of help you are looking for but if i am correct (can't see your policy) you have a $2,500 deductible (assuming single coverage) and then you probably have a $5,000 moop, that is max out of pocket. the bad news is you have cancer, the good news is treatment today with prayer works well. the good news is if you stay in network your out of pocket for the year (probably excluding drugs) is $5,000. so you will have a payment schedule. the good news is they will hopefully cure you and you will be a survivor. the good news is you have insurance. good luck. concentrate on getting well, not on the $5,000. that beats the real cost for your treatment.

      over 4 years ago
    • carm's Avatar

      Might I suggest 2 places for you to investigate? The first is the Patient Advocate Organization at www.patientadvocate.org and they might be able to help you gain a foothold on that deductible. The other site is www.needymeds.com and here you can get cancer drugs like chemotherapies as well as pain and rescue meds for low cost and some at no cost. I hope this helps, Carm RN.

      over 4 years ago
    • karen1956's Avatar

      contact the social worker at your oncology clinic....the AMC is another option and sometimes Komen has grants with local agencies that might help with medical expenses....

      over 4 years ago
    • ruthieq's Avatar

      Ask the social worker in the cancer center or hospital where you get the chemo. They will have resources to help. if you are not getting chemo in these places, call your local cancer society helpline. They will have resources as well. Good luck its a hard enough journey without having money worries on top of it all.

      over 4 years ago
    • Risa's Avatar

      I was offered help through the actual drug companies, specifically Xeloda. They offered me $4,000 to offset my co pay and then raised it to $24,000 but being that I had good insurance with zero copay for my chemo drugs I wasn't able to take advantage of it. So call your drug companies directly.

      I also found this information : The Cancer Financial Assistance Coalition is a group of 14 member organizations that focuses on educating cancer patients and providers about available financial resources.

      The group also provides advocacy services to people burdened with the costs of cancer treatment and care. That's important, because many people have already piled up massive bills in the conventional medical system before they give up on it and turn to alternatives.

      The CFAP's current lineup of member organizations includes:
      • American Cancer Society
      • CancerCare
      • CancerCare Co-Payment Assistance Foundation
      • Chronic Disease Fund
      • HealthWell Foundation
      • The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
      • The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Co-Pay Assistance Program Lymphoma Research Foundation
      • The Max Foundation
      • National Organization for Rare Diseases
      • National Marrow Donor Program
      • Patient Access Network Foundation
      • Patient Services Incorporated
      • Sarcoma Alliance
      Each of these organizations provides various forms of financial assistance, including services and products at reduced costs.

      Good Luck to you.

      over 4 years ago
    • SandiD's Avatar

      Definitely speak to the Social Worker assigned to your cancer clinic! If you cannot get help, most places have a financial office that you can arrange payments with. And this will count towards your out of pocket maximum. I am sorry you need to worry about this when you are dealing with a cancer diagnosis, it seems so unfair. I wish you the very best.

      over 4 years ago
    • SueRae1's Avatar
      over 4 years ago
    • AlizaMLS's Avatar

      Dear vge2013,

      You got some great referrals already, but I have a couple of ideas that might work. I'm not sure how fruitful they'll be, but they're worth a try. One is CancerCare-they do offer some money (not a fortune) to help offset costs (every gift or grant that offsets costs is something). Their Social Workers may be aware of even more sources.

      Another idea is if you belong to a religious community to contact your clergyperson and ask them if there are resources available (they usually have a small discretionary fund, but besides this, they have links to the larger associations affiliated with your/their religion, for example, if your Catholic, it's Catholic Charities, if you're Jewish, it's The Jewish Board of Family and Children's Services (they helped out a family I know of where the Mom had breast cancer a great deal down in Baltimore [treating hospital-Johns Hopkins]). Just a little more food for thought.

      Best of luck in securing the funds you need!


      over 4 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more invasive (infiltrating) ductal carcinoma questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Invasive (Infiltrating) Ductal Carcinoma page.