• Where do you get help getting treatment if you have no insurance & you make too much $$ to qualify for any programs ?

    Asked by Emory on Friday, June 15, 2012

    Where do you get help getting treatment if you have no insurance & you make too much $$ to qualify for any programs ?

    My job doesn't offer insurance (contracted) & the only companies that would sell it to me offered little coverage for very high premiums, as in higher than my mortgage....CRAZY !!

    7 Answers from the Community

    7 answers
    • nancyjac's Avatar

      Check with your oncologist's office. They should know about what is available in your area. There are also people variously called social workers, case workers, patient navigators, etc. who are very familiar with what options and resources are available for specific circumstances.

      over 8 years ago
    • SunnyCloud's Avatar

      Have you checked with the American Cancer Society?? They are a great source of help.

      over 8 years ago
    • SunnyCloud's Avatar
    • mamajltc's Avatar

      Call everyone. ACS, Livestrong. Do a search under your particular type of cancer...there are often programs specific to your diagnosis. Speak to the case worker and social worker. Your doctor and pharmacist...everyone. Also, speak to you town officials...although they may not have coverage, they may have assistance. Same goes for all of your bills. If you can find an online or in person support group for cancer in general or specific to your diagnosis, ask there. Wishing you much luck...and stay strong!

      over 8 years ago
    • ElaineA's Avatar

      Right now there is a government program for people with pre-existing conditions, not income tied which has reasonable premiums. The link is http://finder.healthcare.gov/ . This is part of the Affordable Healthcare Law so it may go away if the Supreme Court strikes down the law, but I would definitely check it out. I was suprised by how much less the premiums were than previous high risk state insurance pools had offered in the past.

      over 8 years ago
    • Moonflay's Avatar

      For pre-existing health conditions go to https://www.pcip.gov/

      Apply for social security disability at http://www.ssa.gov/pgm/disability.htm

      Your local state offices will have information regarding Medicaid in your state.

      Most hospitals offer in house financing for specific needs.

      Whatever you decide...start the process right away. There is a waiting period involved in nearly every aspect of applying for aid/coverage that can delay treatment. Limbo is not a pleasant place to hang when aggressive treatment is essential...trust me...I'm there :)

      over 8 years ago
    • hgbkokopelli's Avatar

      try this website specific to thyroid cancer, that also is support group. www. thyca.org
      you are in my prayers i too have thyroid cancer and no help. my major medical had to be switched and private will only allow limited benefits or scheduled benefits. being tagged is most unpleasant

      over 8 years ago

    Help the community by answering this question:

    Create an account to post your answer Already have an account? Sign in!

    By using WhatNext, you agree to our User Agreement, and Privacy Policy

    Read and answer more thyroid cancer questions.  Also, don't forget to check out our Thyroid Cancer page.