• dhiggi's Avatar

    dhiggi asked a questionProstate Cancer

    my biopsy returned a very small positive on only one of 12 samples. Has anyone tried active surveillance in this situation?

    13 answers
    • Dick_K's Avatar

      I am also a stage IV Melanoma patient and have been participating in a phase II clinical trial for it since March 2010. Part of the trial protocol requires PET/CT or CT scans on a regular basis. The CT scans showed an enlarged prostate and later on, the PET/CT showed hypermetabolic activity with current uptake values ranging from 3.7 – 4.0.

      I went and visited a urologist for advice. My PSA came back 1.8, but based on the scans, we decided on a biopsy. It came back with a Gleason 6 (3+3) with only 2 cores involved at 5%. About six months later, I had another biopsy by a different practice and the result was the same.

      A consult with a surgeon was uplifting. His opinion was I probably did not have to worry about the prostate given the prognosis for stage IV melanoma. Ha, I’m proving that all wrong.

      Anyway, my current PSA is 2.04 and I am still on the path of active surveillance. There are so many different opinions for you to consider, all with very valid points. You have the difficult task of weighing all the information here, from other sources, from your doctor, and making the decision you feel is best.

      Good luck to you.


      almost 8 years ago
    • yww's Avatar

      I too had 1 core out of 12 being postive and of which 11% was cancerous with a Gleason score of 6 last month. My urologist said I should consider tomotherapy radiation instead of surgery to preserve my active lifestyles and better quality of life. I also asked him about the DeVinci robotic surgery and he did not recommend it since he was not sold on it. My radiologist oncologist and head of the Prostate Cancer Center however said I should be a good candidate for "watchful waiting" since my cancer is currently early stage and slow growing but she also said tomotherapy was a better choice if I didn't want to wait since it offers minimal interruption to my day to day activities and less risks than surgery. I'm currently deciding what option to go. I should mention I was leaning towards the DaVinci robotic surgery until ABC News reported a week ago the Government has started an official inquiry to look into the many complaints with complications and robots malfunctioning during operation. Good luck to you.

      over 7 years ago
    • jDay's Avatar

      I did active surveillance with 2 of 12 cores positive (Gleason score of 3+3=6). After 1 year, my psa increased and I had a second biopsy with 5 of 24 cores positive (Gleason 7 and 8). I had robotic prostatectomy on 3/5/13; am now using 1 or 2 pads per day, and waiting for ED to improve. I feel great and psa is less than 0.08 non-detectable.

      about 7 years ago
  • dhiggi's Avatar
  • dhiggi's Avatar

    dhiggi started following

    User: GregP_WN