• GregPWN's Avatar

    GregPWN posted an update

    An email we received describing a series of events with this ladies son. Her question is valid, are you ticked off because this turned out to be nothing when they told you he could die if the blood clot broke loose, or are you just happy that it was "nothing" and go on home?

    What do you think?

    VENTING: Has this ever happened to anyone???? Yesterday I took my son to his PCP and asked him about my son's shoulder/neck pain that he was having since his surgery on May 8th. He checked him and said it could possibly be a blood clot from where they removed the drains and so to be safe rather than sorry, he wanted him to go to the E/R to have a CT scan to rule it out. Blood work was fine, no infections, no fever, etc. He gets to the hospital E/R and because of the Covid, I can't stay with him. I was told to wait outside in the heat, or go home and wait for a phone call. Fast forward... I get a call from the E/R Dr and he tells me he wants to admit him, but he is refusing and he goes on to tell me that the scan shows that he has a blood clot and paints a scenario that if not taken care of now, he could possibly die in his sleep because if it breaks loose and travels to his brain or lungs, etc., it could be fatal and without any warning. Naturally, with that scenario painted for me, I freaked out, My other son was told the same thing and he told his brother that he needed to be admitted and to what the doctors said, so my son relents and is admitted. Fast forward to a few hours later, he is admitted, they allow me to visit with him and when I get there, the admitting doctor came in and all of a sudden the story changes, it is not a blood clot, but fluid build-up from the surgery. From the time he is admitted until the time I go to visit with him, the story changes because they brought in an ENT specialist to look at the CT scan. I am beside myself and asked him why he told me it was a blood clot and then he would be near death's door if we didn't admit him and he said he apologizes for making it sound that way, but it was better to be safe than sorry. Needless to say, I am outraged and at a loss for anything I should/could do to keep this from happening again. The emotional toll it took not only on me, but also on my son, and on his brother, was nothing short of horrendous. Any ideas...should I just leave it alone and count my blessings that it wasn't a blood clot??? Or should this be reported and to whom??? I feel we were put through XXX for nothing, adding to the emotional stress of what we are already dealing with, facing radiation and chemo possibly starting next week.

    • meyati's Avatar

      it sounds like normal medical practice. Technology should be able to differentiate.

      The way to pursue this is filing a complaint to the county/state medical association. 3 other ways are to file with the state insurance board, your state's department of health, and the most promising would be the state licensing board-name all of the doctors.

      The good thing is it might be the complaint that tips the scale about your PCP, the radiologist, etc, because they received previous complaints. I'll tell you, they'll say the doctor practiced good medicine and prevented your son from having a stroke or heart attack, but they should be somewhat knowledgeable about inflammatory reactions.

      Make sure that you get documentation about this reaction in order to try to prevent this happening again. I'd present the history and ask if steroids would help prevent this.

      Good luck- and I mean it. Medicare said that old people can't handle antibiotics, and my PCP put me on Singular to fight a sinus infection--nobody ever told medicare that my cancer site was in that area, and I wore masks before they were fashionable. It took almost a year before 5 specialists figured out what was going on. I'm left with a chronic face condition that messes up my eating, sleeping, and is still doing a job on my eyes. If I get a fever or stressed out- everything above my shoulders swells up, turns redder, and itches insanely. Oh, I had to get 4 different antibiotics -2 to fight the sinus infection, a wild antibiotic trying to figure things out-clear up my ears, and one for the infection under my skin. It was a super stout one, because they suspected that I had infection in my facial bones. It also affected my liver and kidney function..

      17 days ago
    • valeriet's Avatar

      Yes, the mistake should be reported. Yes, be grateful it was just fluid and not a blood clot. and lastly refuse to pay for any hospital bills because it was their error. After a mammogram,, I was told that there was a mass, and I needed surgery. Of course,I was very afraid. They called the next day, and apologised saying I had a normal scan, and it was a mix up with another patient's chart. I told them that I would not pay for the scan because of their terrible mistake, and they agreed.

      16 days ago
    • legaljen1969's Avatar

      Usually doctors are much more evasive with their words to patients, and usually it is couched as "It appears to be a blood clot that could be life threatening...." rather than "It is a blood clot that will be life threatening..." Given that it sounds like the latter was more along the lines of what was said, I agree that a report is in order.

      I had to go three rounds with medical records to get something straightened out. They said they injected me in my left arm for a PET scan. I knew it was in my right arm because I watched where they injected me. I went in and made the amendment to the records and they sent me a notice that the doctor had signed off on it and the change was made. I went and looked at the radiology report about a week later and it still said the injection was in my left arm. Back to records again, and with a copy of the form I took to the radiologists office showing that the change was not made. Again, I corrected it and the radiologist signed off on it. Again, two weeks later I get a notice that the change has been made. I give them another week, go back again and the note still says "left arm." I was not pleased, and I mentioned it to my employer asking for a referral in case I had to take further action. I also enlisted the help of general counsel for the hospital, who is a close friend, to prevail upon them to get the record straightened out before a claim was filed by someone less understanding. Needless to say, the record is correct now.

      I think the original poster/the mom needs to make a report of the way this was presented to her for sure. I also think she needs to be thankful it wasn't anything as bad as was presented.

      It is not all that comforting, but remember that lawyers "practice" law and doctors "practice" medicine. Maybe it's not a case of a misdiagnosis but rather a poorly delivered diagnosis. I also urge her to make sure she heard what she believes she heard, and she was not hearing it through the filter of a panicked mother. Although I doubt that is the case since the other son/brother heard the same news.

      12 days ago
  • GregPWN's Avatar

    GregPWN started following

    Question: keytruda

  • GregPWN's Avatar
  • GregPWN's Avatar

    GregPWN asked a questionBreast Cancer

    We have a guest blog post on the blog page today from Ms Norma

    • Kp2018's Avatar

      It never ceases to amaze me that some women have to overcome so many false negative findings and impressions before their cancers are finally diagnosed. I truly admire their incredible tenacity, and am so glad that they are here to tell their stories.

      I also hope that these stories make it to media intended for women in general, not just to sites like Whatnext.com. The stories are inspiring to those of us who have experienced cancer, but they need to be told to all women so that they can follow the example provided by Norma when they sense that something is wrong.

      2 months ago
    • cllinda's Avatar

      Her story is amazing. Sometimes, it just takes an outside person to look at things from a new angle. Each of our journeys are different, and we have to value those that help us along the way.
      Right now, I'm On the six month, let's wait and see myself train. It's not a good train to be on.

      2 months ago
  • GregPWN's Avatar
  • GregPWN's Avatar

    GregPWN shared a photo


    Here is my finished project on the swing. I carved the customer's name into one of the back slats for a bit of personalization.

    • LiveWithCancer's Avatar

      I have a swing nearly exactly like that on my front porch!! I love to sit in it and swing!

      2 months ago
    • GregP_WN's Avatar

      I like this version of the Adirondack chair I started making. When I decided to make a swing I adapted the bottom braces from the chair and used them for the seat and back supports for the swing. It made a comfortable sitting swing after a little trial and error.

      2 months ago
    • Bengal's Avatar

      I want one!!!!! Trying to figure out how I could do that from way up here on the Canadian border. Somewhere on this property, in storage, is an old chair swing. It used to be on the front porch when I was a kid. Then my father had a pond put in with a picnic are and he hung the swing there for many years. I need to find it and get it back in use!

      2 months ago