• lwell's Avatar

    lwell started following

    User: Clementine_P

  • lwell's Avatar

    lwell started following

    User: gillmomof3

  • lwell's Avatar

    lwell posted an update

    Diagnosed in December 2010. Started chemo in January 2011. My breast surgeon recommended chemo before surgery as she said it works better on HER2 tumors and she wanted to make sure that my tumor responded to the treatment. If they would have did the surgery first, then they would not have known if the chemo they were giving had an affect on my tumor. My tumor was 3.5 centimeters and after chemo it was around 1 centimeter. I had 4 out of 5 lymph nodes with cancer after chemo. We will never know what it was prior to chemo which is okay with me. A complete response would have been the best scenario but at least I responded to the treatment. I was diagnosed as Stage II after treatment in the affected breast and Stage 0 in the other breast. Received very strong treatment as my cancer was aggressive. I had 33 radiation treatments following chemo. After 6 months of chemo (not including a year of herceptin) and radiation, I had a bilateral mastectomy with recontruction (implants). They found another precancerous tumor in the other breast so I was very glad I made the decision to have both removed. I was very fortunate during chemo to be able to continue working and only experienced nausea once. The oncology nurse told me to drink more water to see if that would stop the nausea and it worked. Thank goodness. My last herceptin treatment was in April 2012. What a relief. I am a little apprehensive at the moment because I have to have a CT scan next month but I am going to maintain a positive attitude. I was told there is a 30 percent chance that my cancer could return which seems kinda scary, but as my oncologist pointed out.....there is a 70 percent chance it won't.

    I would like to say that this experience was very difficult but a few positives happened as a result of this diagnosis. I learned that you have to live your life for today because tomorrow is not promised. And that a clean house and perfect world are not important. Having fun with your children, family and friends takes priority. Another positive for me was being able to pick my bust size. For me, being top heavy was a burden. They are now smaller and much perkier too :).

    I have kept an upbeat and positive attitude throughout the whole process and if anyone needs a little encouragement, let me know. I can help.

  • lwell's Avatar

    lwell shared an experience

    Radiation (External radiation )

  • lwell's Avatar

    lwell shared an experience

    Procedure or Surgery (Mastectomy)

  • lwell's Avatar

    lwell shared an experience

    Drug or Chemo Therapy (Targeted therapy)