• MichaelV's Avatar

    MichaelV asked a questionProstate Cancer

    favorite city in the South

    9 answers
    • Samcharlie's Avatar

      Chapel Hill, N.C.

      over 7 years ago
    • kkcomm's Avatar

      I agree with cam32505! Anywhere south of snowy Michigan!

      over 7 years ago
    • fusilier's Avatar

      I'm torn between New Orleans, and Santa Fe.

      fusilier, who's been busy with other things for a while
      James 2:24

      over 7 years ago
  • MichaelV's Avatar

    MichaelV started following

  • MichaelV's Avatar

    MichaelV wrote on GregP_WN's wall

    Michael G. Murray, longtime resident of Libertyville, IL, passed away June 30th, after a long, brave battle against prostate cancer. He was born March 22nd, 1948 in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, to Gene and Marjorie Murray. He graduated from Goodrich High School in 1966 and married his high-school sweetheart, Mary Grace Mielke, in 1969. In 1970, he graduated from the University of Wisconsin with a Bachelors Degree in Business Administration. He earned his CPA designation in 1971, and went on to earn his Masters in Business Administration from Lake Forest Graduate School of Management. Mike and Mary moved to Illinois where Mike held various positions until opening his own firm, Michael G. Murray, CPA, in 1988. They had two children, Melinda "Mindy" (Christopher Hubbard), and Geoffrey, and spent 44 wonderful years together traveling, enjoying performances at the Lyric Opera of Chicago, and visiting with their three grandchildren in Cincinnati, Aiden, Gavin and Mearen Hubbard. Throughout his life, Mike had a passion for his family, clients, sports, music, and travel. Mike is pre-deceased by his parents and his sister Margene Pape. He is survived by his wife, Mary, his children Mindy (Christopher) and Geoff, his grandchildren and his brothers, Mark (Bonnie) Murray and Morris (Annie) Murray. A memorial service will be held at the United Methodist Church of Libertyville on July 26th at 11am, followed by a celebration of his life. In lieu of flowers the family would appreciate any contributions made to the Prostate Cancer Foundation or the Lyric Opera of Chicago.

    • tspoon's Avatar

      I know you two were friends, he always gave the impression in his postings that he was happy, which is all any of us can strive for. I have been watching your friendship for a while now and this touches a nerve for me.

      I glad to see you back here and hope all is well with you as well.

      almost 8 years ago
    • MichaelV's Avatar

      Thanks tspoon and Greg

      almost 8 years ago
    • Char's Avatar

      I'm so sorry to hear. He was always so helpful and upbeat. Gave me a lot of input. Makes me sad that he is no longer with us. My condolences to you and his family.

      almost 8 years ago
  • MichaelV's Avatar

    MichaelV wrote on GregP_WN's wall

    Do you know what happened to Mike Murray's blog? I just found out he passed away in mid-June. I was out of the loop due to hospital stays and a bout in a rehab center which lasted for two months. Mike came to visit me in May and now I got an email that he passed away.

    • GregP_WN's Avatar

      Oh Mercy, no I sure didn't know that, no one has ever sent the site an email or posted anything on his page.

      almost 8 years ago
    • GregP_WN's Avatar

      Found it, MGM48

      almost 8 years ago
  • MichaelV's Avatar

    MichaelV posted an update

    Why You Have Not Heard From Me
    28 June 2014
    On Feb 22, 2014 I went into the hospital via ambulance. I was unable to move off my bed at home when I woke up in the morning. I rolled off the bed and dragged myself to the door to let the Fire Department guys into my apartment as the maintenance man was not available. I was given a bunch of tests over the next 8 days as I had no energy and my BP was very low along with my heart rate. It was then decided I was well enough to go home and the staffs were in the process of giving me 2 units of blood (caused by the cancer eating into my bones) and was starting an EKG when I suddenly went into AFIB. It is about the scariest thing I have ever had happen. When I came back to life people were all around and starting to wheel me down to the ICU. I didn't really know what happened at that point or how serious it was. I was hooked up to a bunch of drips; monitors, etc., and proceed to have 3 more episodes of AFIB. They were pumping me full of drugs, etc. to stop the AFIB from happening. The most painful thing was a drip that had potassium in it and the needle was a 20ga. All I can say is after about 10 seconds it felt like my right arm was on fire and being beat on all at the same time. I guess this is normal! The staff of nurses put two ice packs on my arm, one on top, one on the bottom and when my arm got numb from the cold packs I only felt like my arm was frozen, which it was! That was a lot better than the burning pain which I kept telling myself! was finally told that my heart rate should be between 70 and 80. Mine was dropping down to 38! When things calmed down, several heart doctors gave their opinions and it was decided that if I wanted to live another day I would need a pacemaker. It was scheduled for Sunday afternoon and this was Friday night. Things got worse for me and I had the pacemaker installed early afternoon Saturday. I had a very interesting conversation with the doctor who put in the pacemaker. We talked about my cancer, how far it has progressed, different ways of dying and I saw that going into AFIB was most likely the best way to go (having already experienced it 4 times). After an hour’s conversation about life, death and all that in-between, we decided that I still had things to do so I went ahead with the implant.

    I came through fine and was walking around the ICU the next day. It was then decided that I should go to a rehab center in order to recover from all that I had been through in the past two weeks. It was mainly because I live alone and they did not want me going home alone and having no one living with me. I went to a rehab center in Highwood and it was a terrible experience. I was to stay for only 5 days. I was there for 2 months! They made me into a drug addict at 30mg of morphine, 3 times a day. I also have a back problem which they refused to acknowledge until I made them call an ambulance after 4+ hours of yelling at a night nurse who was in charge of the whole place. I was in the hospital for 2 days and then back to the “nursing home” and had the same thing repeated only a week later! At the end of 2 months I checked myself out and went home alone! I was in worse shape than when I left the ICU. There is much more to the nursing home/ rehab center but let’s just say that I have a bottle of pills and if I ever have to go to a place like that again, I will empty the pill bottle before I go!
    It has taken me 7 weeks to be able to just walk around the building I live in. I have also been to the hospital ER for dehydration and low blood pressure; three of the trips were in ambulances as I was too incapacitated to move on my own.
    I now have to consume at least 64 oz. of water each day and eat at least 2000 calories each day. I have lost my appetite and it is hard to push food when the thought of it makes to feel slightly ill. My weight was 249 lbs. prior to the chemo last April 2013 and at the home my weight had dropped down to 176 lbs.
    This is the first time I have been on the computer in over 4 months.
    Many friends have helped out by shopping for me and taking me to doctor appointments. The three who have been there for me most often were Jennifer Mordini, Barbara Mendelson, and Joe Wallace. I don’t know what I would have done without their kind and thoughtful help.
    I received an excess amount of cards from Bo and Pixie, Ernie and Nancy, my daughter Lauren and many others to numerous to mention, I thank you all for your thoughts and taking the time to express them to me. It would always brighten up my day when I got the unexpected card(s).
    My daughter came in from Telluride and did an unbelievable job in cleaning up and fixing up my apartment which had been full of boxes and a small clear space where my bed was.

    I’m trying to go back through 4 months of emails and answer those that need answering.

  • MichaelV's Avatar

    MichaelV wrote on MarnaDR's wall

    Welcome to this site. I have been fighting aggressive prostate cancer for 11 years. I have made some mistakes and done a few things right in those years. I have posted a detailed writing of my journey for the past 11 years in the hopes that it may help others to see my mistakes and inform them on some of the things that may happen. In any event, I am glad you found this site. Here there are many "firsthand" information people who may be able to answer questions you have. In any event, don't forget the three main things to remember: Always get a second or third hand opinion; don't do anything to your body if it doesn't feel right or if you have that sinking feeling for no apparent reason that this is wrong for you; last, always keep a positive attitude and treat yourself like the temple you are. You are the caretaker of the temple and only you can guide yourself through this maze of decisions one who has cancer is continually faced with. The positive attitude can heal you as much as the treatment and drugs can.
    Know that we are here for you and many of us have walked the same scary path as yourself with, in some cases, far less information, and knowledge. Use this site to assist in your education of what has gone on all around the world in the fight to control this disease. The great thing is it is all firsthand knowledge and that you are not alone in this struggle to control your particular cancer.
    I hope that you find peace in this battle for it will do you more good than any drugs or treatments. May your God go with you, help you through the hard times, and enjoy the good times.
    Welcome aboard. Michael