Nonna shared an experience
Oh No (Diagnosed): I had undergone a needle biopsy at the surgeon's office after a diagnostic mamo came back "highly suspect". I had an appointment to see the surgeon with my husband a week later for the biopsy results. The surgeon called me 2 days before the appointment and abruptly told me he had bad news - the test was positive - I had cancer. I was astonished. I was speechless. I was hysterical. Fortunately, my daughter had called on my other phone while I was talking to this surgeon. After I hung up with the surgeon, my daughter talked me down (LOVE HER). I was hyperventilating, sobbing, incoherent. My lovely and talented daughter talked me back to myself and I was ok for a few minutes. Then I took a Klonopin that I use for panic attacks. Then I went downstairs sat on the sofa, called my husband and my other daughter. Hung up the phone, turned on the classical station, cranked the volume, and did deep breathing exercises while I waited for my family to arrive. I am very lucky.
Anyway, back to the surgeon. Obviously, I was not overwhelmed by his bedside manner; but he is a surgeon. I don't think a personality is a requirement! I went to his office where I found that his whole office was involved in putting together a plan of attack for my cancer. There was a binder with my name on it, which the dr went through with me and my husband. I did not have the presence of mind to take notes, but there is a lot of info in the binder, and my test results, etc. I also spoke to the office coordinator, who I think makes the appointments for the surgeon, the oncologist, and the plastic surgeon. There is also a nurse coordinator for medical questions, and general support. I was impressed that there was already a plan of treatment in place. I did, however, tell the dr that I was also seeking a second and possible a third opinion, since his treatment was a bi-lateral mastectomy (even though cancer had only been found in my right breast), and reconstruction as a part of the initial procedure. I still felt I owed it to myself to get more opinions.
I have since had an ultrasound-guided core biopsy on my left breast, because there were some suspect spots from the mri. I am presently waiting for the results of that pathology. Also I have appointments with 2 other breast surgeons, one for this week, and one for next. Then I will have to make a decision. I don't want to have a bi-lateral mastectomy if I don't need to. That's one of the few things I do know. HELP!!!