• saf1039's Avatar

    saf1039 asked a questionThymus Cancer

    Best Treatment Path

    4 answers
    • geekling's Avatar
      geekling

      I'm not a doctor. Few other on board are either.

      Now that I've explained my lack of qualifications, I'd like to know why anyone would want to or even consider giving chemotherapy for a growth which is determined to be benign?

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thymoma#Treatment

      You seem to have something quite rare, more often seen (seriously) by vets than MDs. Isn't there anyone in Portland from whom you could get a more definitive opinion?

      Personally, especially given my afore mentioned credentials, I'd like it removed prior to chemotherapy.

      As foolish as it may sound, if I were in a small town and understood that what I had was something more usually experienced by pet animals, I would have a talk with the town vet just to see if I could gather more information from someone experienced with the particular problem. I'm sure I would not let a vet operate on me but I might very well like to simply here what he or she has to tell me since the problem is so much more common in dogs and cats.

      Again, please let me emphasize that mine is simply a lay opinion. If you require find a third or even fourth medical opinion. I'd want my "team" of doctors to be in basic agreement. I don't want top leave them wiggle room to point fingers if things don't go as smoothly as lake water on a calm day.

      Best wishes for an easy time of it.

      about 6 years ago
    • geekling's Avatar
      geekling

      I found some history lessons @ John Hopkins. There are 24 pages I did not read but which may hold your interest: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1420905/

      And, what do you know but that, for your particular type of growth, benign doesn't actually mean benign: http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/thymoma

      I really think you need to speak with other doctors.

      Again, best wishes

      about 6 years ago
    • BarbarainBham's Avatar
      BarbarainBham

      That's a question for a doctor. I'm surprised your surgeon and your oncologist didn't come to some resolution. Sometimes if its a large tumor, they shrink it before surgery, but you should get a second opinion from a NIH supported cancer center as soon as possible. The University of Washington School of Medicine would be a good place to go:

      UW School of Medicine
      [phone number redacted]
      uwmedicine.washington.edu

      about 6 years ago
  • saf1039's Avatar

    saf1039 started following

  • saf1039's Avatar

    saf1039 shared an experience

    Decision Point (Treatment selection): Struggling to determine best team and path forward. Getting conflicting view points

  • saf1039's Avatar

    saf1039 started following

    User: GregP_WN