I had three lumpectomies and did not get large enough margins in June. One side was smaller than .5 millimeters. I went for two second opinions and when they agreed, I had dcis, stage 0 with comedo necrosis. I decided to have a double mastectomy and diep flap reconstruction. My recovery physically was very quick, it has been two months. I had seven out of 33 segments of the right breast that still had dcis in them. I am content with my decisions and I am beginning to embrace my new body. After the new year I will have nipple reconstruction. When I dress up my friends and family say I look healthier and I am in better shape than before children. I am optimistic. If I can be of help to you ask to e-mail off line. We live near each other. There are great breast cancer support groups in Kingston, New York. Would love to meet.
- Milton, NY
- Member Since Sep 2012
Their Diagnoses (1)
- Patient: Ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS)
- Patient Info: Newly diagnosed (has not begun treatment), Diagnosed: over 4 years ago, Female, Age: 58, Stage 0, HER2 Positive: Don't Know, ER Positive: Yes, PR Positive: Yes
- View this journey (2 Experiences)
SusanB shared an experience
Decision Point (another lumpectomy then radiation and medication or a mastectomy): I'm at the point where I need to decide between having another lumpectomy followed by 6 weeks of radiation and 5 years of Aromasin or a mastectomy. My oncologist is recommending a double mastectomy if I go that route. I understand that either option is a preventative measure and that I can choose to do nothing at this point. I don't feel doing nothing is a viable option for me because my mother had breast cancer and I am a cancer survivor. I had non-Hodgkins Large B Cell Lymphoma in my other breast 5 years ago.