Life Before Cancer - Colorectal Cancer – Jayme W

Click here to see more colorectal cancer videos from Jayme W

Video Transcription

Before I experienced my first symptoms of colorectal cancer, well I really don’t remember ever not having them. As far back as I can remember into my childhood, I’ve always gotten sick, as soon as I ate or sometimes if I was really lucky, during the time that I was eating, so like in the middle of a meal. It’s always been something that's been a part of my life, so I really didn't know that I was having symptoms until pretty far along in my course of being diagnosed with colorectal cancer. I’ve always gotten sick to my stomach as soon as I’d eat; I had diarrhea often, then I had the cramping and the bloating, the constipation every once in a while. Not very often, but sometimes, and then I had the bloody stool that was probably the sign that screamed at me the most - something is definitely wrong - you need to go get this checked out. So I did. Before I went into treatment I was pretty active. I teach 7th grade, and I was involved in a lot of different things at school. I went to a lot of activities at school, a lot of the extracurricular things. I coached volleyball, I did tutoring before and after school, I worked some crazy hours, and I got to school pretty early and I stayed at school pretty late so I was very, very active. I was very busy, and I was gone a lot. And aving a diagnosis thrown at me was kind of rough because it totally put a cramp in my lifestyle of working a lot and hanging out with kids and doing things for kids. So that was probably the worst part of the whole thing for me was not being able to be involved with the kids as much as I would like to. I did spend a lot of time with family and friends before I was diagnosed. I was traveling with my husband quite a bit and that was fun. I enjoyed doing that and being diagnosed and going through treatment kind of put the skids a little bit on running around as much as I was doing; doing all the fun things. I continued to spend time with family and friends after I was diagnosed and during treatment, but mostly it was them coming to visit me. Coming to hang out while I sat on the couch or laid in bed and watched TV. We did a lot of TV watching, me and my family and friends.